My First Bass Solo

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by WoodyG3, Mar 16, 2004.

1. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I did my first solo on Saturday night at a gig at our guitar player's house. I was nervous because tons of my friends were there. It was a solo I worked up for the song "Ain't No Sunshine." I screwed it up totally in practice when we were doing a sound check, but I played it better than I ever have when it counted. After the song a guy yelled, "the bass player rocks!" Of course, the guy was a good friend of mine, but it was still cool. :cool:

I can't believe what a rush it is when you play something you've worked really hard on and you really nail it on stage.

I bet this sounds like I'm 16 and just getting started. Actually, I'm 46 and I first picked up the bass about a year ago. After years of starting and stopping on guitar, and never getting serious, I picked up a bass and fell in love with it. I started playing in my wife's band after only a couple of months. I've always loved music, I have about 700 CD's and 400 vinyl records, so playing in a band is kind of like a dream come true.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts. I always enjoy reading people's gig stories on this forum.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Sounds like you had a blast. What style of solo

I have also been playing for a little more than a year and am trying to start my first band with a saxophone player I met recently.

Anybody know a drummer from Brandon MS? :D
  3. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA

Good luck putting your band together. It's always a challenge getting people together, then keeping them together!

Solo was blues rock type.
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I hear that. Everyone I have wanted to form a band with either doesn't have talent or wants to go on a world tour, and for me college comes first.

The live music scene that I have noticed around here is either Metal, Radiohead/Punk/Whiny crap, Blues Rock or Country. But no real mixing of styles.

I like a lot of music and want to play many styles not just one.

Hopefully the saxophone player will work out. He is much older than me and very talented on bass and sax, so I think it will work.
  5. nezvanova

Mar 19, 2004
    congrats! Glad to see you're having so much fun with bass! sure beats my first bass solo story... I'm a band geek, and played bass for the junior stage band when i was in grade 8, and i was given a bass solo for the song "fire star". well, the senior bassist messed up the specs on the amp,a nd when i cranked the volume on my bass, it was waaay too loud, and when i played the first note, it just blasted it and freaked everyone out. I swear, you could hear car alarms going off three blocks away! It was awesome!
  6. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Ya, especially when the town you live in has no music scene whatsoever. Not one place in my town lets bands play. :crying: :mad:
  7. gratz

i do lots of solos, and i was only nervous once cuz i didn't know my part. a good solo is always fun, it shows the crowd that bassists aren't posers. :cool: