My first bass....yeah

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robbase, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Robbase

Mar 13, 2005
    Hey everyone...Im a complete bass newb. I only started to take lessons 3 months ago, but soon decided to buy my first bass. Im thinking off an Ibanez sr500, a washburn t24 or the washburn force 4...Im totally in the loop if I should right away go 5 string. Im having so much fun with my rented 4 string that im afraid of getting frustrated with a five string. Is it ok to first get better on a 4 string before you switch to a five?? The music I love is Jazz and acid funk..favorite bassist is Nick Fyffe...maybe you can help me out a little..thanks so much Rob
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think you need a 5 string, from the info youve provided....and i think it would hinder your learning since you are just getting comfortable on a 4.

As far as which bass to get, how much money do you have, that you can spend?
  3. I started on a 4 string, moving to a 5 string took about 3-4 days to get completelly used to, after being comfortable on a 4 string for about a year n a half

If you are set on getting a five string at some point, it might be worth while looking out for a cheapish 4 to start with

And if you want to move on from that you can get a more upmarket 5 string or if you change your mind a higher up 4

I know alot of people might think its a waste of money on that first 4 string, but i think its better to start on something cheap and rough around the edge to start with, plus if you get sick of bass a month down the line you havent spent too much money on it

( i can now play fluently between my 4,5 and 6's , but i'd say learning is better on a 4 )
  4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I would right off suggest the Ibanez. I agree that you don't have to start out on a 5 string. But either way, I like the Ibanez SR series and think they are great for starters. G&L Tributes are great too, if you're going up more toward $500, and Yamaha makes some nice entry level basses as well.
  5. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I feel that you have to ask yourself if you want a five string just because it has an extra string or do you actual need one because in my oppininon with the type of music you like you dont actually need 5 strings. I also think that 5 strings isnt needed for a begining bassist at all. but its up to you
  6. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I hope so because I started playing bass 20 years ago and I still have no desire for a five string. I like to think I'm still getting better, but I guess that would be a subjective thing....

Anyway, if I need to go lower than the low E, I usually D-Tune, but that's ony practical in a live situation if you have a second bass or a d-tuner installed. I say go with what your comfortable with to start and if you continue playing and develop the desire for a five string later, than so be it.

Oh...and my vote goes to the Ibanez. Not a bad bass for a starter.
  7. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I started out on a 5string. Looking back I woulda done it again.
  8. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I think starting on a 4 string is a good way to go. You can always move up to a 5 down the line, but you may never be a 5ver. I have one 5 string (custom built with everything I wanted), but I usually only play it to learn songs! I'm pretty much a 4 guy. There is no wrong or right answer to that, but I really think a 4 string Ibanez is an excellent place to start. Well made basses for not alot of money with comfortable necks for beginners. Just don't get a 5 because others tell you that you "need" a 5. Get it because of the music you want to play,etc.
  9. rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    I think the 4 or 5 string question isn't really important at this moment.

Of thse choices I d suggest Ibanez, because they seem to be more
    consistent in quality. I ve seen some good Washburn instruments, but
    have also seen reallie horrible ones.
  10. Robbase

Mar 13, 2005
    Thanks for all your help folks...Im sure that I will stick with a four string now....suprised a little that everyone says to go for a Ibanez bass...heard so many bad things about sound etc...anyway money is not the issue since im 34 and dont have any plans of making a career outta playing bass. Im just fullfilling a live long dream thats all...
  11. well try them out in the shop, i think ibanez's sound great (look at my sig :p )

you dont need to get an SR, if you could try and get a BTB400QM on the cheap, id do that, altho tis a bit longer scaled, the BTB's sound amazing compaired to the SR's
  12. Robbase

Mar 13, 2005
    Thanks again important is it to have an active pickup?? Im afraid im gonna blow my little amp........
  13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I think you should start on a 3 string before you go to a 4.
    Seriously, if you plan on playing a 5 string, get one now. There is no reason to "graduate". Start out on what you ultimatley want to play, and you'll be that much further ahead.
  14. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Get a 4. It's your first bass, it's better to see how the instrument works with 4 srings and then when you switch to 5 you'll get a better idea of how to incorperate those low notes.
  15. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Better start with a 4-string, i think thats how most people start. Once you feel comfortable enough, you can move on. I played a 4 string for 5 years before i bought my first 6-string. I bought it only to realize i don't really use the low B at all, however, i do like the high C. I do recommend the Ibanez, thats what I have (an SR 506). You get a lot for your money with higher end Sound Gear stuff.
  16. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    If you think you'll end up with a 5 in the future, go for it now. Once I got my first one, I haven't looked back at all, as far as a main bass goes (I own a four string, but it's only collecting dust, and trying to be sold). Honestly, IMO, there's no good reason to NOT start on a fiver. It doesn't matter where you start, or where you're at, just so long as you're having fun while doing it :cool:. If you asked me (and uh, ya kinda did), I'd say jump to five now.