My first bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thor16, Jun 29, 2004.

1. thor16

Jun 16, 2004
    Ibanez gsr200 and all the goodies to go with it

Now to start taking a few lessons and learning how to play.
  2. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Congrats on the new bass, and welcome to talkbass! :hyper:

Definitely find a good bass teacher to take lessons from. I wish I did when I first started. They help so much.

Be sure to look through the newbie links and search these forums for any questions you may have. There is tons of information here to be had.

3. thor16

Jun 16, 2004
    I've been skimming it over for a couple weeks, and getting some tips. I'm glad I found this message board.
  4. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I dig Ibanez. A friend of mine has one of those, and I played it and was pretty much sold on the feel. Good choice for a starter.

I remember seeing a guy posting on here about GSR200s, and how that's all he bought, because they were cheap enough and built well enough that he could just route out whatever pickup configuration he wanted. I think he had like three or so that he'd thrown all kinds of different pickups in and he just dug messing with them. Anybody know who that was?
  5. welcome to the wonderful world of THE LOW END!

hope you enjoy bass as much as i do.
  6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Welcome!! Both to TalkBass and to the world of bass!!!

7. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yeah you might wanna check out bass forum... They give you a lot of good songs to practice to help left hand dexterity.
  8. A search of the "Technique" forum will yield enough woodshedding to blister St. Pete. :bassist:
  9. Congrats! I started out playing a GSR200 also, now I'm looking into possibly getting an Ibanez BTB406 sometime. Ibanez makes some good stuff, even their cheap stuff (aka GSR200) isn't completely horrible.
  10. Decided to go with the Ibanez, eh? Cool. :D Good luck and have fun.
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Traitor! What about our technique forum :p? (Don't expose him to the horrors of the other forums!) ;)
  12. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    i have that bass, it will sound even better when you change the strings. Mine was quite bad as far as they go, the action was quite high, the jack went screwy and my tone control is broken, but because it is so good i still love it the, seperate volumes for p/j and amp settings give me all the tone control i want, still want to get it fixed. Also with the right technique/ settings (it's not htat hard to find) up the neck it sounds like a dream very very very nice. Get a good bass teacher, you can tell if he's good if he criticises you a lot when you begin (unless you are naturally gifted) and teaches theory.