My first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Osmoza, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Osmoza

Osmoza

Feb 11, 2020
    Poland
    Hi,
    Firstly i want to mention that i'm new to basses and music in general and i'm looking for a bass, a 5 string one to be precise because my main goal is to play metal music (mostly funk, prog and alternative subgenres) and my favorite bassist is Ryan Martinie who uses mainly 5 string basses.
    I know it's better to start with a classic 4 string one but i probably won't be able to get a new one for a long time so i'd prefer to start with a 5 string bass. My price limit is something around 500$.
    So far i've found the Sterling SUB Ray5 and ESP LTD B-205SM to be my best bets but as i said, i'm just beginning with bass so your opinion would be most valuable.
    Also there are no big music shops where i live so it's hard for me to pick a bass by a feel coz i have a very limited acces to them, that's why i'm asking you to help me choose it.

teh-slb, Remoman, wintremute and 3 others like this.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Nothing wrong with starting on a 5. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. You will, however, have a harder time getting a quality instrument. The B string is a really fickle beast that very few basses do well with even less doing it great. You will probably find it to be much floppier and trickier to play as a beginner because of this.

Now, given your two choices, I would get the SUB Ray. I wouldn't stress about getting the "right" bass for your first instrument as I would stress getting a good deal. There is a very good chance you will not stick with your new hobby so the less money you lose the better. I always recommend buying used or renting a first instrument just to keep your potential losses to a minimum. Plus, you don't actually know what you like in a bass right now. Playing a bass for a while, any bass, will give you an idea of what you want to pay for in an instrument.

3. La Faro

La Faro

Jun 20, 2016
    Da Nang, Viet Nam
    Have a look at Sire basses too.

exidor, Bassic Needs, Fialka and 2 others like this.
  4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I just played a SUB Ray 5 string at GC and was really impressed by how it played. They are also punchy and aggressive sounding, a similar vibe to the Warwick Thumb basses RM plays.

5. James Collins

James Collins Guest

Mar 25, 2017
    I never played a 4 string the first 10 years I played bass. I started with a Warwick Rockbass Corvette. Still have and love that bass.

6. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    It’s hard to find an unplayable bass these days. Be prepared to spend $50 or so for a setup from a guitar tech; or you can teach yourself. The setup is IMO the single most important factor in playability.

5 string is no harder than 4 if you have no frame of reference. Same goes for the many subtle differences between brands and styles of basses.

I’d lean Sterling of the 2, but that’s probably just personal preference. Also look at Peavey, Ibanez, Squier/Fender and Yamaha.

Don’t forget to budget for an amp. Either a small practice amp or a headphone amp; but you’ll need something.

Where exactly are you located?
    Shopping new or used?
    Online or local classifieds?
    ANY music stores even with a bass or two? Road trip? ;)

Welcome to TB, and good luck! :)

7. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Good advice so far. No reason not to start on a 5. I haven’t played a Sting Ray 5 in a while but recall it had a good B-string. Be aware that 5’s come in a variety of string spacings. As you get to know your first bass, try a variety of others with narrower or wider-spaced strings. Welcome and best of luck!

EmuBass likes this.
  8. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

If you're in the EU, you may want to check out Thomann/Harley Benton: quality instruments at a very nice price.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  9. Osmoza

Osmoza

Feb 11, 2020
    Poland
    For the AMP i chose Fender Rumble 40, coz i saw many great opinions on it and i really dont want to scrimp on something important.

As for the rest im from Poland, id prefer to get a new one and probably online coz as i said, not many music shops around here and prices are always higher localy.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    alanloomis1980 likes this.
  10. La Faro

La Faro

Jun 20, 2016
    Da Nang, Viet Nam
    Bass Man Dan likes this.
  11. Osmoza

Osmoza

Feb 11, 2020
    Poland
    Ive just been looking at it on thomann and i wonder if it's better than the sterling most people recommend me here, im open for more propositions as well.

12. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Cool! Well, I just wanna stress how little importance the brand or style of bass is. Just read online reviews, look for glaring negative feedback. Listen to YouTube demos (with headphones or good speakers) and pick one that jumps out at you. Look at the basses your favorite bands use.

Rumble 40 is a great choice. I have the 100 and I love it.

In a year or so you can take a trip to a city and try out basses. You can answer those fine-tune questions like “do I prefer pickups X,Y or Z” or “do I prefer neck X,Y, or Z.” But now it doesn’t matter, just play! :)

As for setup- it’s ideal to get a tech to do it, with you watching, the first time. Then it’s pretty easy to maintain. If there’s no one in your area, you can teach yourself. Resources here:
    ALL BASIC SETUP QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

Have fun! :D

13. James Collins

James Collins Guest

Mar 25, 2017
    Just for fun: at least in American English, proposition generally has a sexual meaning outside of law or business deals. Like that "prostitute propositions people." The word "suggestion" fits better. Your sentence makes sense, but it also has a funny second meaning.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  14. La Faro

La Faro

Jun 20, 2016
    Da Nang, Viet Nam
    Websters:
    1a(1): something offered for consideration or acceptance : PROPOSAL
    (2): a request for sexual intercourse
    b: the point to be discussed or maintained in argument usually stated in sentence form near the outset
    c: a theorem or problem to be demonstrated or performed
    2a: an expression in language or signs of something that can be believed, doubted, or denied or is either true or false
    b: the objective meaning of a proposition

15. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Welcome. I was a HUUGE Ryan Martinie fan back in the day. In fact, he and (pnut) is the reason I got my 1st Warwick. (which turned out to be too heavy for my bad back, at around 12 lbs. sounded great though).
    That said, I also started on a five string. Never looked back. I try 4s now n then (and still own one), but 5 string (with narrow spacing) is home to me.

Now, THAT said, I recommend you find a used "Rockbass" (by warwick) Corvette. They aren't made in germany like the awesome warwicks, but youll get a sound AND feel that's pretty dang close. (without the thoroughbred weight too). and used, you'll get one under your budget.

Good Luck, let us know what ya find.

T$

16. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Maybe he knew what he was saying, he's doing whatever it takes to get a bass! :roflmao:

17. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    If the music you want to play is predominantly played on a 5 string bass then it would make no sense to buy a 4 string bass. Just saying!!

I've seen Pro players using 5 string Sire and Squire jazz basses so these would be my suggestion.

Bassdirty likes this.
  18. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    OK, Not sure where you're from, but just checked "Gooey-Tar" Center's used ..stuff. Found about 20+ Warwick Rockbass bases (including 4 str). Corvettes, Corvette $$, streamers, in 4 and 5 string starting at 299 to $500 ( also a few at 549, so if ya can squeeze a few more duckets..ya know.) ;)

I would have you do some research on what the differences are between the rockbass models over the years, as I "think" that they were made in different places, and some may be of better quality etc, yada, buyer beware.

All I know is that there are (or were) different "levels" of the Warwick Rockbass. Some "better" (well, priced higher, should I rather) than others, and heck, maybe that's just the features that they offer.

That said, they are all more "Warwick-y" than , say an Ibanez such and such (which I use) or a fender, or MM...or..

YMMV

T$$
    ;)

19. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    A used Ibanez SR 300 series 5-string is a good place to start: 1 3/4 inch nut (a little narrower than most), decent electronics, and if you don't like it, it retains resale value if taken care of.

20. Osmoza

Osmoza

Feb 11, 2020
    Poland
    Thanks, i will try to find a used warwick but its definitely harder in Poland, compared to US or some other western countries. Also im not sure if it's worth to buy a used rockbass instead of a new Sire m2 for example, what do you think?