Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drumminor2nd, Oct 29, 2004.

1. after a decade of low brass training (tuba, t-bone) i've been kicking around the idea of getting a bass for about a year now. I've figured out what amp i want, and have a good idea on what bass.

I like to listen to all sorts of stuff, from Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Sting (w/ or w/o the rest of the police), Dire Straits, DMB, and others.

I think a Fender P-bass would serve me well, but I would like some other input. I've only ever held and played (if that's what i call that:)) Fender basses, and I want to know what other brands offer that are simmilar in tone (w/ the same strings, amps, and so on) to the P, but possibly slightly cheaper. I have heard of Ibanez in passing, but have never used one.

I can swing the $650 for the P, amp, strings, cables, ect, but what are my other options?

thanks to all...
    bobbo

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Peavey Korean P clone (Milestone) is pretty nice, and with an MSRP of 299 it can't cost much at all street.

3. Also look at Mexican Jazz bass......you won't be regret to check it out...there are some good one out there and it would leave you around 200-300 bucks for a decent amp

4. AJL56

AJL56

Oct 29, 2004
    You might want to consider the SX basses offered on ebay. I just posted a new thread on my personal experience. Excellent value for your dollar. Do a forum search on Essex basses (same as SX) and Kurt at Rondo Music is wonderful to do business with.

Best of Luck!

5. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    +1

6. here's another question: what's the difference between the MIM basses and the Highway 1 basses?

7. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Highway 1's are MIM's assembled in the US I think, and maybe a different finish/pups. But I forget...

8. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I like the P, but I would go with a MIM jazz. It has more tonal abilities and is a breeze to play.

9. thanks for all the help...i think i am going to look into the j bass now. I don't think the Highway one is really worht it then, and if i want to change something, i found some websites that carry most of the parts.

thanks again,
    bobbo

10. Specifically the one in my review.

SX Jazz Bass

I got it. Looks good, sounds great, excellent construction, $130. And if you live in around New Jersey, you can go and try it out at the Rondo Music store on Hwy 22.

I've bought 5 basses from Rondo so far, mostly for modding and learning how to build basses. All have been at least ok but this last one is very nice.

Rondo also sells gig bags, hard cases and small amps. I wouldn't suggest that those amps are anything but the most basic practice amps around. But I figure everyone needs a small portable practice amp at some point in life. Otherwise you could either go on the classified section here on TalkBass or perhaps hit MusiciansFriend.com for a better amp. But I really recommend the SX Jazz.

As always, YMMV.

11. Sorry, I should have double-checked. They're selling for $140.

*shrug* not a huge difference.

12. Mex Jazz Bass. Hot pups. Growl Central on the cheap. And from 50' away, does not look like a cheapo Korean bass.

Also look for used Peavey Foundation P-bass clone Made throughout late 80's and early 90s. I believe these were American made in Miss. Could possibly find one for $150 w.case.

Check out Yorkville or Ashdown Electric Blue series for combo amps. Anything else will be harsh sounding at that price point.

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I really like the Highway 1 Jazz. The thing is that they have the same consistency issues that every other-than-Japanese Fender I have played in the last ten years have had. The really good ones are really good. The ones taht aren't, aren't.

Look till you find a good one. It'll be as good as the American model for much less money.

14. I was checking out those sx jazz basses. They look pretty cool with the ash trays and pup covers. Do these growl like the mex basses? Are they playable? I'm thinking about picking up an unlined fretless if I can get one with chrom covers. They are so cheap and that Rondo guy has a ton of them.

15. Do you think the MIJ fretless are forgiving? :eyebrow:

16. Well I had a MIM Jazz at the office so I had a chance to compare that one and the SX together. The SX is a little lighter in weight, darker in color and warmer in tone. Otherwise it's pretty much like a MIM Jazz. It was wierd at first playing with the chrome stuff on, but it's fairly easy to adapt. I can see why people tend to take that stuff off though. :)

Frankly I'd personally suggest buying this SX over a MIM Jazz. IMHO the construction on this SX is really much better than most previous SX basses. I've bought a few before, for modding, and they were constructed ok, but not as well as this model. In direct comparison to a MIM Jazz the SX definite is at least it's equal.

As for fretless SX basses, I don't really have all that much direct experience so I really couldn't say. I think you'd have to search the megathread for answers. Sorry.

17. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    I would recommend a MIM Fender, but I always do that :smug:

18. The SX Brice basses look pretty good. Yamaha basses are OK for the cash, but Fender and Peavey are industry stalwarts. I have a P bass and wouldn't give it up for anything.
    Carvins are awesome, but unless you find one on ebay, outside your identified price range... :bassist:

19. fatjbass

fatjbass

May 29, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I would probably go with the mexican jazz bass. It's a pretty sweet price without sacrificing too much quality. Good variety in tone too. JPJ used fender jazz so if you want his fat fat fat fat tone, go with that and you'll be one step closer.

20. I'd look at a yamaha.

I started with an RBX170 (damn Australian prices!), and it's been a great, reletively versatile instrument.
    I play alot of Police/Sting stuff also, and it's served me fairly well.

I can only imagine that the Yamaha range or basses (at a much more reasonable price as all basses are in the US), would be better than my '170.