My first bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Death_Blooms, Feb 19, 2005.

1. i am in the process of buying an Epiphone Thunderbird as my first bass and wonder what you guys think of them. :)
  2. Never personally played one.

But check out the search function thingy, you can probably find better opinions, and reviews.
  3. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Is it comfortable in your hands to play? Do you get the sounds out of it you life? If you answer yes to both questions, then do our opinions matter that much? I play a Samick bass that I love to death and most folks don't exactly hold that brand in high esteem.

I'm not fond of Thunderbirds. They neck-dive like crazy so you spend your gig not only fretting the notes, but holding the neck up. Though, if you install a strap pin near the neck joint, it balances better (I remember someone posting pictures of a guy doing that.)
  4. thanks to bryan bailey too.

i heard about the "neck diving" and how you can put a strap pin near the neck but ill have to see how it goes.

another question, have you heard of a Pocket Rock-it? it plugs into the bass and you plug in your headphones to replace the amp. it is either this or a cheap and quite cr*ppy practise amp - limited funds due to age (15) and little pay for saturday job :(
  5. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I think it's a great Bass, but ive posted that before without no response. Anyway neck diving is a pain in the butt. I put I moved the strap button to one of the bolts of the neck plate which helped out a lot. You actually have to play this bass low because when you try to play with it higher it's a pain trying to reach the first fret. I the neck seems like it's a mile long.
    I had to buy the hard shell case because it will not fit into a gig bag.

I don't play mine that much, but I do think it's a great bass for the money. And it is a cool looking bass as well.

sorry if this seems kind of jumpy im typing while thinking. when i do that it kind of comes out kind of mumbled.
  6. quite alright! im glad somebody has something good to say about it. :) :) :)

i was gunna save up for the hardshell case anyway, juss for the reasurance of leaving it in a room at school waiting for practise with the band (my friends are learning instruments too)