Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirnthoppus, Jul 28, 2001.

1. dirnthoppus

dirnthoppus

Jul 28, 2001
    Canada
    im buying my first bass and im planning to buy a fender precision bass, for 449 (canadian) is it a good bass, anyone with experience and should i change the strings and what color would look nice (im thinking sea-foam green with a perloid white pcikguard)

thanks (ill be playing punk like green day, mxpx, nofx, blink 182)

2. BassPlayer101

BassPlayer101

Jul 27, 2001
    Omaha,NE
    I love playing Bass and I love Blink and Greenday but Don't limit yourself to just punk! Some groups like Blink have some very simple Bass lines. Sometimes simple is better!

3. I like punk but thats not the best bass lines!
    punk bass lines are simple!learn to play metal or blues!

As far as the fender goes.....for a beginner guitar i would suggest stiking with the factory strings untill u become real good. then u get some ERNIE BALL STRINGS!!!! YEAH they rock! For color id say red with black pickguard.

4. Hey, a fender precision bass is great! A good color combo is the sea foam with white pearloid pickguard or a midnight blue with yellow pickguard, and remember you can always get other pickguards in different colors. But whatever you do DON'T GET BLACK, every single finger mark to anything shows up on it.

5. And even though I love punk don't limit yourself to it, I mean "Punk" has some great basslines and ones that aren't simple but its good to expand your horizons, you may not like jazz but they have some great bass lines. The same thing applies to just about every other style of music, each has some good and some bad bass lines. And also learn to read normal notation dont depend on tabs, and spring for a teacher they help more than you might think.

6. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Gandolf: About that Black Thing: I don´t think so. I´ve got many high-gloss black finished basses, and that thing about the fingerprints isn´t true, I believe, especially not on a Fender P (my bass teacher has one)...

I would say, good color choices would be:

Black / White (or better White Pearloid) Pickguard / Maple Fingerboard

Midnight Blue / White Pickguard / Maple Fingerboard

Dark Red / White Pickguard / Rosewood Fingerboard

If you like playing punk, maybe look for a used Ibanez ATK; they are great.

David

7. Good bass, but the color you are thinking of arent offered. Go to www.fender.com and look at the standard series. They also only come with white pickguards, but of course you can change that.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Anyone else find it funny that we all the sudden have:

dirntdisciple
    hoppusdisciple
    dirnthoppus

?

Hhhmmm...

9. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    wow,, good call angus.. coincidence or conspiracy???

10. you know, there are more important considerations than the color of your bass, for gosh sakes. but the p-bass is a very solid choice. it's great for lots of things, punk included. good luck, and welcome to the dark side.

11. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    midnight blue also looks good with rosewood. I was gonna get one but I got a 3 color sunburst squier p bass instead :mad:

what is up with these mark hoppus fanatics all of a sudden? its like theres some sort of crazed maniac that thinks mark actually has talent...

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    you can get the mims for even less used. ;)

13. Goldfingerdude

Goldfingerdude

Jul 29, 2001
    What's your point. The dude just likes Mike Dirnt and Mark Hoppus. They are two popular bass players so what's your point?

14. What I said about the black finishes and everything showing up on them is from expeirence :rolleyes:. My LP is a high gloss trans-black finish and everything shows up on it. So I polish it all the time:D.

15. dirnthoppus

dirnthoppus

Jul 28, 2001
    Canada
    can i change the knobs on the bass and should i change the pickup

thanks

16. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    The P-bass is a good choice, if your comfortable with the feel and sound, go for it.

There are a lot of after market parts you can get for a P-bass. You can get better pups from any pup manufacturer such as EMG, Seymour Duncan, theres lot others to chose from.
    You can get a better bridge such as the BadAss 2.
    You can also get a better neck later on down the line, preferably by Warmoth who is actually licensed by Fender to make replacement necks.
    Check out places such as Allparts and Warmoth for all your option needs.

And the Seafoam green w/ the white pearloid pickguard does sounds nice.

17. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes you can change the knobs, theres a wide variety. You can checkout Allparts for stuff like that.

18. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    welcome to whe world of bass playing dude. You do want to get a bass that looks good to you and you don't mind playing it. But I think you are missing the point of a bass. It isn't just about looks.. looks are really 2nd compared to the sound and quality of the bass. don't be so worried about what pickguard or knobs you have on your controls.... especially if you are just starting out on the bass. Unless you are a prodogy then i doubt you will be playing infront of a large amount of people for awhile. The fender p-bass will be a good beginner bass, but as long as you stick with playing bass, in a few years you will want to upgrade. So for right now I say keep it sweet and simple. Get a color you can live with. Don't get all these different pickguards and knob controls and what not, that is all cosmetic and won't change the sound of your bass. As for pickups..... I say leave in the factory pups... One day you may want something different for your sound... but for right now just keep it all the same...

19. bpilati

bpilati

Jul 31, 2001
    I just bought my first bass today. I bought an Ibanez GSR-200 (red). It is a 4-string with P and J pickups and 3 knobs. I have been reading reviews, and it seems to be a nice bass for the price. It is an inexpensive bass at $200. No doubt it's not the best, but it's a start. I played an upright in high school and thought I'd like to pick up the bass again. This is going to be very different for me, especially after over 20 years. Good luck. :)

20. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Hey man. good luck with your new toy. enjoy it :)

Peaceout