Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My First Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by forbin, May 29, 2003.

1. forbin

forbin Guest

May 29, 2003
    Stanville KY
    Ok so Ive been looking around for my first bass and here are the ones I'm considering:
    Ibanez GSR200
    Washburn XB100
    OLP MM2

If you have owned/played any of these please post your opinions and/or thoughts on their quality and value. Thanks

P.S. My budget is under $300

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    if 300 is your deal, don't even think of those basses.

You could get a MIM Fender, or an Essex, for much cheaper than 300, and it would be ten times the bass then any of the ones you were thinking about.

Also, do a search for the basses you like, we probably already have 1 or 2 threads on it.

3. forbin

forbin Guest

May 29, 2003
    Stanville KY
    Well when I say $300 I mean that if I see one i Really like I can go up to that but trying to stay around $200-$250
    Ill Check out the essex and MIM Fender
    Thanks

4. Hi Forbin,

with 300$ budget I strongly suggest you go used. You'll get much more bang for the buck.

To me guitar and bass "new" are no better than used. It's not like a synth...

I own 3 guitars and 2 basses, each of my guitars costed over a grand, I've got a 500$ bass (new) and a used one (ATK) I paid roughly 280$.

Guess what of all I bought the ATK was my best and smartest buy. Sure it has some small scrathes but it is well built, the tone is VERY good and it plays very well. Better yet if I sell it I won't loose a penny whereas for the gear I got new...

To me the GSR-200 (new) is not worth buying I haven't tried the other ones...

Just my 2 cents

5. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    used mim fender jazz or precision. precision if you play hard rock or punk, jazz for well, jazz and smoother kinds of music.

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    dude, i got that ibanez over christmas. that bass is like the perfect starter bass. i'm not a beginner, i have like 5 yrs. experience and this bass is amazing. it sounds sooo good and plays sooo good man. i had an upgraded MIM presicion and i sold that because this sounded/played so much better. i definately suggest the Ibanez GSR 200. good luck man.

7. I don't like the GSR's. Three people I knew had them and two of them had warped necks within 3 months. Go essex ^^

8. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    you can get a japanese SQUIER P-BASS FOR 200.00$ and they are equal to or better than a mexican fender and the GSR200(i had one and in 3 months the neck went silly on me:( )this bass will take you where ever you need to go and back,my teacher is a professional player(played for famous people)and he use's a japan SQUIER.if you dont like it you can get your money back for it,try that with the other basses listed:D