1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first bassline (slap)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by EAdanikDG, Oct 30, 2010.

1. This is a slap bassline I composed. It's my first, so i'd appreciate opinions of what's good and what needs to improve.

The way I structured it was based on the way basslines are structured in Jon Liebman's "Bass Grooves" book (basically just that the root slap note needs to stay the same, the original changed from A to D to E, which I noticed that no other slap lines do)

I'm just starting to write lines and i'm only 14, so i'd appreciate opinions on how to improve.

2. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    needs more attitude. your 'pops' sounds weaker than your slaps. also try to minimise the amount of time your thumb makes contact with the string for for a more refined slap sound.

it's a fine line, just the technique isn't perfect. will improve with time i'm sure

3. Thanks for the input, i'll take it on board. Any comments on the actual line?

4. zephyr_words

zephyr_words

Aug 12, 2009
    Virginia
    I think the biggest thing to improve on is your groove and tempo. You're hitting that root pretty regularly but you're playing "catch-up" a lot to get there. Practice and write lines to a drum machine or metronome.

The line by itself is just a noodley slap thing. By itself it isn't much to listen to, it would probably sound pretty good with some drums.

5. pandaman37

pandaman37 Banned

Sep 17, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    its not bad, but watch some videos on proper slap bass right hand technique, itll help a bunch with the slap lag, and what that one guy said before as well, make sure you get a full pop on those strings, else that ascending triplet thing sounds a bit weak, and itll sound better with drums, use a metronome or download a rhythm station such as hammerhead for some simple beats.

6. pandaman37

pandaman37 Banned

Sep 17, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    its not bad, but watch some videos on proper slap bass right hand technique, itll help a bunch with the slap lag, and what that one guy said before as well, make sure you get a full pop on those strings, else that ascending triplet thing sounds a bit weak, and itll sound better with drums, use a metronome or download a rhythm station such as hammerhead for some simple beats.