Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My First Big Brown Truck Thread!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, the big brown truck stopped by today!

My first fretless has just arrived! It's also my first new bass, still has the plastic on the control plate.

Essex SJB-62 QMD Fretless. I don't have my digital camera with me, but since I got the bass, I think I will drive to my aunts house to get it where I left it at the last party.

[​IMG]

I'm so stoked!!!! Full review soon!

3. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    first impression....

MWAH MACHINE!!!!

Finish is fine, no spots or blurbs, no bumps or anything else. None of the frets have sharp edges (one of the common EX complaints) because, well, no frets :D Very beautiful instrument. The neck is smooth and fast, very comfortable.

I will do a full report on the sound when I plug it in.

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I love it too when the guy in brown arrives. In my case, it is usually the guy in blue.:)

5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, after giving this bass it's run through the paces, I am very pleased. The sound is very clear, very deep. The fretless tone is to die for!!! No horrible dead spots along the neck, around the 5th on the G, and 6-7 on the D, but not so bad it ruins the sound. I don't need minute long sustain anyways.

Overall, the sound is wonderful. The tone is to die for! So much more than I expected.

I love my Essex :D

6. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    NICE!

I live a few miles from Rondo, and have to stop myself once a week from buying a new bass!

I'd play with the set-up a little to try to get rid of those dead spots..maybe raise the bridge saddles a little.....

...would look sweet w/ tort pickguard...;)

Enjoy

Greg

7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Aww man, I would be flat broke if I lived that close to Rondo!

I worked with the setup, and it is good now. There is still tons and tons of mwah :)D) and the dead spots aren't bad, only npoticeable if you're actually listening for them.

I was thinking about swapping a tort shell PG on there, but now that i got it here in person, the pearloid pickup is SO SEXY with the deep red quilt and gold hardware. If I get bored with her, I think the tort PG with be the first change I'd do though ;)