Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My First BIG Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bass_drum, Jul 2, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Well, lastnight I had my first big gig. It was infront of aprox. 3000 people to! It was the provincial special olympics!

We got to play 6 songs in total, wich wasnt much but we were only one part of the opening ceremonies. During our performance, we threw candy off the stage, made corny jokes (just a few lol) and my guitarist even took his shirt off (he was wearing another one underneath) and threw it into the crowd.

Since there were so many thigns going on there we had to break up our set list into two parts, so we did 4 songs to start off everything and then we plaeyd second last at the end aswell with our last two songs. Our set was: Blitzgrieg Bop, Seek and destroy, Rock and Roll all Night, Fight for your Right to Party, Enter Sandman and Sweet Home Alabama. I played bass for all of the songs except for Sweet Home, in that song I sang and played drums (wich was a pretty good idea because my drummers foot was pretty much dead after all the other songs and we had planned for my guitarist to take his shirt off and throw it into the crowd and during that time i was to go crazy on the kick drum (with only one pedal i managed to go 16th notes for a pretty logn time) and crash, and my guitarist was havign issues getting his shirt off!). Unfortuanately, we didnt get paid, instead we are gettign an award, but there were people from radio stations, news channels, owners of establishments were we could play at, and the mayor,attending the special olympics so we definately got heard and will hopefully get quite a few gig opportunities form this.

By the way, did I mention I'm twelve, my drummer is 13, and my guitarists are 14? lol.

~JB~

2. DeepCalls2Deep

DeepCalls2Deep

Jun 25, 2005
    East Texas
    Congrats bro!

I wish I had had the opportunity like that at your age. Heck, I didn't even start playing until I was 23, and I am 26 now.

And do not worry about the money thing. I gig alot, and do not get paid for 75% of what i do. It is not always about the money. Just play your music, and enjoy it. And along the way, you can maybe share your music with others...

:p

3. Mate, thats a great story!! Well done!

No worries about getting not paid, just get in the face of the people you met. Harass them for opportunities etc...

Crikey! I was just a beginner when I was 13, not anywhere near playing in front of a crowd!

Good stuff!

4. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Congrats!

Are you in Edmonton?

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    So you won an award a the special olympics? Haha! That's priceless.

6. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    well done mate, that sort of gig is bound to get you guys some exposure.....

7. ~Pugz~

~Pugz~

Jul 8, 2005
    Nice!

Sorry to steal your glory but..

15 years old.

250,000 people.

August 13th.

Big Weekend.

8. Congrats man! As many others have said I wish I had of started when I was that age, I'm 17 now but still, that many years makes a difference. But congrats again on the awsome gig, hope that brings around more opportunities for you and your band!

Jared

9. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Congratulations. And playing for a good cause makes it even sweeter.

10. lazyi

lazyi

Feb 14, 2005
    Hong Kong

Is this the international special olympics? I hope you win an award as well ~ Glory stealer ;)

11. Congratulations on that great gig! Hope things turn out well in the future, too.

I encourage other musicians to not play for free. Yes, I know it's really fun to just play, but it is work and you should get paid. Keep in mind that there are other bands who really need gigs and really need to get paid. Venues hire people who play for free over paying a serious band. Just thought I'd warn you.

Stick up for fellow musicians! :)