1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first brand new bass - 08 Fender American Standard Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Biodome, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Biodome

Biodome Guest

Apr 16, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    My first ever brand new bass came from the Fed Ex guy to my job today. I pulled it out of the box and it looks fantastic. I've had plenty of nice basses, but am about to make the plunge into trying to "make it" as a bassist, and this instrument is my gift to myself to use to make the dream come true.

I got it from the Perfect Bass on clearance for a great price, and everyone there was a dream to work with. It's a black and maple, beautiful, resonant, and I can't wait to plug it in. Pictures coming tonight. So psyched!!!

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    congrats kid!!!

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Cool! Enjoy it and post some pics.

4. 2400

Sep 4, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
    No pics, no awesome jazz bass series that'll rock your socks off. Congrats!

5. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm imagining a really beautiful bass and what it might look like...

6. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    Only thing better than New Bass Day is when it falls on a Friday!

7. +1! :D

I bought an 08 Am Std Jazz when they first came out. It's my main player! I enjoy everything about it, look, feel, tone, balance, wght, etc!

Assuming you bass actually exists, congrats! ;)

8. Biodome

Biodome Guest

Apr 16, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm 95% sure it's real, but then again I don't have any photos of it so I can't be certain. I'll let you know for sure tonight!

9. I got my '08 JAS back in November '08, couldn't be happier. Fender finally found their footing with this model. Congrats and enjoy!!

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

2008-present P and J basses IMO are just killer. I have yet to play a bad one.

Enjoy!

11. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Fender really knocked it out of the park with the 08 J basses. I have one too (blizzard pearl with maple) and my Ibanez and Spector are just collecting dust now. Enjoy!

12. ajunea3

ajunea3

Feb 14, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I live in Baton Rouge not too far from the Perfect Bass, so I pop in there from time to time. The other day I went to get some new strings, when I noticed that the room that is usually reserved for Fender basses was now lined wall to wall with some off-brand kind of bass. I asked the guy working there what happened to all the fenders, to which he replied that TPB is "no longer a Fender authorized dealer". He added that, in order to liquidate their old stock of Fenders, they dropped the price DRASTICALLY on them. I won't comment on the exact amount of the price reduction. I'll just mention that when he told me the number, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor.:eek:

Unbelieving, and not quite sure of how I missed this incredible deal, I asked the worker why I didn't receive an email about the sale (I'm on the TPB email list). He commented that the store wanted to keep the deal "hush hush". I can see why... if everyone around the country knew about the deal, they'd be driving from three states away and knocking down the doors for these Fenders. I myself would have bought an Am. Std. P bass if I had known about the deal.

Sounds like you got one of these basses?

13. Biodome

Biodome Guest

Apr 16, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey there,

Thanks for the kind words! Here is a terrible photo of a fantastic bass. It is average weight, which I like (the last bass I had was weirdly light), the finish is incredible, and the neck has a strong grain to it. It sounds killer, and is great with any combination of the pickups. No dead spots, and a lot of wood to the sound, but also a lot of gritty, deep TONE. It is perfect for what I wanted it for, which is a tool to use in all my projects. I can't wait to use this in my soul cover band, my funk band and my punk band.

One question my OCD mind insists I ask is that the frets seem to have been filled in with wood putty along the edges before it was finished - is this normal? Thanks again!

Yes, I think I might have gotten their last US Fender. I was skulking around their site and one day they had 3 Mexican Fenders on the clearance page, the next they had the Fender I'd always wanted so I contacted them and put 90% down on it.

-BD

Attached Files:

14. Congrats on your brand new Jazz. I've got a '08' MIA Jazz V that's been my main player for the last 2 yrs - I love it!!:D

15. congrats! i love my fenders, but i just bought a Gretsch BroadKaster that's taken it's spot as the flagship of my electric collection.

I play my highway one jazz constantly, it was the first USA bass i got and the first thing i picked up when i started playing bass again a few years back. Treat her right and she'll never let ya down!

16. Biodome

Biodome Guest

Apr 16, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks! I am looking forward to wearing this in a bit. Any thoughts on the fret putty?

17. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Enjoy you new bass, Just got my American jazz deluxe today too.
    IMG_0248.

18. Very nice. I just got an Am. Std P5 about two weeks ago. It's my first Fender and first maple fretboard. I also got it for a great price. You're going to love that new bass.

19. Biodome

Biodome Guest

Apr 16, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm really loving it. I had a used 1999 Fender Jazz a few years ago, but this is so far ahead of it. I can't put it any other way than that it is packed with tone. The '99 was much more plain and unremarkable sounding, but this thing is a killer. I have practices coming up this week and I'm really looking forward to using it!!

Bump for any info on the putteeeeeeeeeee. Thanks!

20. Congratulations! I've only purchased two basses new in many, many years. The first was a 1980 Fender Precision in black with a maple neck. I regret selling it a couple of years later, because a friend really wanted it (still have a '77 P and a '78 Jazz).