1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first build was a Rebel Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by WalterBush, Jul 25, 2017.

1. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Hello! A few years back I saw the whole "I Found the Rebel Bass" meme that was going around, and decided I wanted one. They're not exactly easy to come by so I started turning my beloved childhood toy into a functioning five string bass. Five years later, she's complete and just got dropped off with a guy who specializes in wargames, miniatures, and model painting. I'll get her back in about a month, but for grins here's a few photos (no soundclips, but she sounds enormous!). If there's interest, I'll be happy to post more photos while I'm waiting for the finished product; Lord knows I would have loved a few more photos of the original to go off while I was fumbling my way around building her!

Warmoth jazz V neck, mahogany body under all the 70s polystyrene, and (mostly) Fender American hardware and electronics. I probably should have launched my building career with something simple, like a P bass, but hey, she sounds good and looks great so I have few regrets. Anyway, pics:

Attached Files:

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Super awesome... absolutely love it... :D

WalterBush likes this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    That's terrific!

4. William Shafer

William Shafer

Apr 25, 2017
    Denver
    Not my cup-o-tea but the dedication and attention to detail is impressive. Nice first build!

5. I-Am-The-Slime

I-Am-The-Slime

Jan 8, 2010
    SW VA
    Cool! Got any pix of the build process?

6. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    This is awesome!

7. Cool. Definitely pics of the build process, if you have any.

8. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I've got tons. I'll be happy to post them as time allows this evening.

rwkeating and I-Am-The-Slime like this.
  9. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I hope you start every song with "Okay, Chewie... Punch it!"

charlie monroe likes this.
  10. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Sorry for the delay; this build took so long I had to hunt down and reboot my old iPhone to get some of these photos. Along with about 300 photos of my kids. Anyhoo, here are a few shots. Feel free to ask any questions, including, "Why the hell did you do it that way?" though the answer will likely be, "because I didn't know better at the time." The painter sent me some photos in-progress. I'll post them separately.

Attached Files:

I-Am-The-Slime likes this.
  11. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Here are some in-progress painting photos. He's still not finished, and after he's done I'm going to have to epoxy coat it; we discussed wear and tear and settled on epoxy-then-matte-varnish as a suitable top coat. After that, a custom case. I hope to still have her ready to gig in September.

Attached Files:

I-Am-The-Slime likes this.
  12. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Does the satellite get in the way of your plucking hand?

13. I-Am-The-Slime

I-Am-The-Slime

Jan 8, 2010
    SW VA
    Very nice! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

14. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I'm glad you asked! The satellite is attached with neodymium magnets, and is only there for display. The same goes with the turret gun, which I made into a bridge cover of sorts. Again, just for display. Either of them get in the way of playing the bass.

rwkeating and BusyFingers like this.
  15. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I see, it appears it's been taken off at this point. Looks pretty awesome, and I'm looking forward to seeing the complete deal.

16. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Okay, last few until she's done. Here's some pics of the bridge cover/satellite look, the concentric R2 knobs, and the construction of the pickguard. The vast majority of this project looked suspiciously like modelling.

Attached Files:

17. Those knobs are great. I'd used them on a "non Star Wars" bass anytime.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020