1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My First Build...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by J. Wes, Apr 26, 2015.

1. J. Wes

J. Wes

Sep 2, 2014
    Palestine, TX
    I'm building what I'm calling "The Twins"...a pair of matching basses, one fretless and one fretted. I bought a set of '75 Jazz Bass templates and some wood and got to cutting. I finished the fretless and wouldn't mind getting your opinions. Here it is...

Specs:
    Swamp Ash body with a Bolivian Rosewood "pickguard" inlay. There is no pickguard, just an inlay
    Maple neck with a Bolivian Rosewood fingerboard
    Hipshot style A bridge
    Delano big single pole pickups
    Hipshot BT1 tuners with drop D
    Roller string retainer
    White TUSQ nut
    Volume, Blend, tone pots with Ebony knobs...rear routed with a matching Bolivian Rosewood cover
    Thomastik-Infeld flatwound strings

It took about 2 months to build and the finish is not perfect at all. I'm (apparently) highly allergic to the lacquer I was using to finish it, so the finishing process got rushed. I didn't want a "pretty boy" anyway...I wanted a player!

(The black rectangle at the bottom is Velcro for my wireless transmitter...not a design element )

image. image. image.

2. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Mar 5, 2009
    Beautiful!

3. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Very pretty. I really like the pickguard/inlay