1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first build...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dukey donkey, Jan 11, 2012.

1. I built this bass with two things in mind, a small budget and a need for good tone... I think I was able to pull those off, keeping my cost under 300 bucks... Its got an 18v preamp in it and a built in distortion circut with a selector... ranging from full blown distortion to mild tube-like overdrive...that takes a seperate 9v too.. lol... the pickup is
    GFS ceramic MM replacement... body wood is cherry finished with tung oil... with a bolt-on maple/maple neck. I'll try to get some audio samples on here soon... I'm pleased overall with the sound... firm, articulate, and dark... kind of a cross between a thunderbird, a p-bass, and a ric... not bad considering I built it with a coping saw, power drill, dremel tool, and a borrowed router... in my living room.

[​IMG]

2. Sirppi

Sirppi

Jan 2, 2012
    Really nice! :) Did you buy the neck or made it yourself? Any build pictures? ;)

3. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Minneapolis & St.Paul, MN
    Owner of Barcus Basses barcusbasses.com
    Watch it, the bug will get you. :) That's when the uncontrollable urge to buy cool and expensive tools comes.

4. ^ what he said... :scowl:

5. bug's got me... but so does my budget... I think I'll be waiting a bit before trying another build...