1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by theonewhoslaps, Aug 8, 2012.

1. theonewhoslaps

theonewhoslaps

Jan 6, 2012
    My dad and I are going to be building a my first bass(first one built by us that is). Where should I get my wood? I'm looking to make a solid koa body, but I'm afraid that would be hard and expensive to find a nice piece of koa big enough, so I think I'm just gonna lay koa over maybe mahogany. I have some questions,
    Where could I find wood for that?
    And is it possible to have two different preamps hooked up to two pickups? Ive seen basses with two output jacks, so I'm thinking that's what it was for, but I'm not completely aure

2. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    IMG_1733.

I made this fretless bass body of solid Koa (3 sections). It's a very dense, hard, (and heavy) Hawaiian wood, similar in these ways to ebony. It's also scarce and expensive. I got my Koa from a woodworker who had it for a while. There are suppliers on eBay that offer different wood blanks, but I've not seen Koa there. A specialty lumber yard may have some, but like I said - it's scarce. If you can find some, the koa top /mahogany core would be lighter and should sound good.

I'm not sure if 2 jacks/imputs = 2 separate pre-amps. A 4000 series RIC bass can have 2 jacks but that is for a stereo-signal split.

3. Nidan

Nidan

Oct 31, 2008
    Duluth , Ga
    I've gotten several nice sets of Koa from http://volcanoguitarworks.com/index.php?id=electric

nice folks , good service and the best prices I've found on quality high figure Koa

For mahogany , I like Gilmer Wood Co. they have several nice billets https://www.gilmerwood.com/items.php?CID=46

As far as preamps , 2 would be a tight fit, however Bartolini makes several that give you the option for seperate volume or blend and have either 2 or 3 band EQ's . I've used a number of them and always had good results . They can be run 9 or 18v ( for more head room ) .