1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first business trip

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Uncle K, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I've mentioned my new job in some previous posts. Well, I traveled 100 miles to Pittsburgh this morning for my first day of training. I'm staying at The Comfort Inn tonight and I had a form to give to the desk clerk which said, "federal employee on official business." I feel important.

2. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    What comfort inn?

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

BTDT since 1980. Keep in mind that you represent other employees. There will be more trips. Keep good records, do the paperwork cleanly, and good luck with that job!

4. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    you should. The Senator's would read the same.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Enjoy it. I always enjoy my time on the road, a chance to see new scenery and visit places that I wouldn't otherwise. I make sure to spend time at the local sites and eateries.

Be thorough with your expense reports... no sort of headache of getting those back and having to foot the late fee on your corporate card out of pocket. (I haven't done it, but other new travelers have). And make sure you travel with a copy of your travel and expense policy in case you have any questions.

And I'll be in Miami on Thursday on business as a matter of fact. Out of the people able to do this gig, I'm young, unattached, and very thorough with my expense reports. I'm able to travel on a few days' notice and because of that I'm first call for the farther (and conversely more exotic) locations.

Sure beats sitting in the office!

Enjoy!

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I lived out of a suitcase for a couple years, and I am glad it is over. The first few months were cool and all, and it let me see some great sporting events around the country, but it got old.

The Comfort Inn seems bush league for the feds. Where I worked, it was Hiltons or Marriotts when available.

-Mike

7. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    So, the Federal Government cutting costs doesn't seem like a good idea?

8. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    enjoy it... after six years of continuous business trips I am finally able to skip some trips, I really got tired of it..( 45 countries in 5 years) I don't know about your company policy but mine is very generous, make you feel like a millionaire unfortunately it also make many people disconnect from earth, if your are single it is great , if you are married don't forget to make it up to your family for all the time you are on the road, all the best for you buddy.

9. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    I travel quite a bit for work and I'm ok with it since the other 95% I'm working from home. I try to always do something local when I travel, usually trying a restaurant that is family owned versus a chain, or see something culturally distinct to that area. You don't have time to goof around usually, but just spending a little time researching makes it fun for me.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Now would be a great time for my company to start sending me on more business trips. I think they should send me back to Atlanta so I can flirt with the cute bartender chick.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Nope, not here. You want your employers well rested while on the road. Staying in nicer, well appointed rooms helps with that. I've done my fair share of travelling to know I work better and more efficiently when I have a comfortable bed to sleep on in a nice and clean room.

-Mike