Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My First custom ( self made ) bass, Progress and pics! weee

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PasdaBeer, Jul 23, 2004.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    Been working on my first bass last couple weeks, thought id give ya'll a view and see your opinions/suggestions/comments on it!

specs so far

Ash body
    Rock maple, eucolyptus laminate neck
    Coco Bolo fingerboard
    Palo Escrito top woods
    Badass one bridge
    MM style pup ( not sure what type yet! suggestions please!)
    Aguilar OPB-1 or 3

the body blank
    [​IMG]

Templates i made layed out
    [​IMG]

Body cut out roughly
    [​IMG]

Body with the neck block and Cocobolo fingerboard
    [​IMG]

Couple shots of my, what i think is awsome, topwoods
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Where do we put our leg?

3. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    bottom horn is the short one, theres enough room for sit down playing.

this guys ment to be played standing : )

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    template routed the body to its lines, gouged a couple spots mildly : /

anyone know of a good routing jig for template routing/edge rounding?

5. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I like it man, fingerboard looks nice. You'll have to let me see it when you get all done.

6. Wow...Rock on man!! Looks like it's gonna be really sweet...What kind of pickups and electronics are going in it?

7. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    lookin at bartolini 3coil MM style, or seymore duncan MM style with aguilar 3 band EQ, set up with volume(pushpull active passive bypass) stacked bass/treble control, mid control(pushpull freq selector) mini toggle for series/parrel/and tone bypass, master tone........at least im thinkin that

8. EricWilson

EricWilson

Jun 30, 2004
    lookin awesome man. Kinda reminds me of a wishbass, but ten times cooler by far, as those things sometimes just irk me.

but are fun to play nonetheless.

~Eric~

9. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    yea was sorta modeling it after a wish...but with some quality : P

its my first bass so im startin off easy

thanks for the comments guys!

10. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    anyone have experience with installing G&L electronics in other basses? just wondering if it has the same "feel" to the sound as the G&L

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Is it just me or does it look like that thing will weigh a dickens and a half?

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It looks quite massively thick.

13. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    body is only 1 1/2 inches thick......the neck is pretty heavy though, isnt carved yet.........so we will see

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    thin that sucka up... :p

15. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    its shown in that picture at 2 inches thick, its 1/2 inch smaller, and really im wery to bring it down much more because the body is VERY small, compared to more traditional guitars.

But the body wood is heavy as crap, and the neck is also.

16. schuyler

schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    i dig it man... very cool shape. my experience with the obp-3 is that it's got some trebly noise to it that the -1 doesn't.

17. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    I like the body design a lot. It looks like Machael Manrings' Zon Hyperbass with the fretboard cut out. And indeed, those top woods are awesome. Great job!

18. PasdaBeer -- location: Windsor, California. Hmmm... only about half-an-hour away from where I live...

Ahem.

Nice bass! Yeah, it really does look like one of Michael Manring's basses. I forget which one.

19. For the routing jig, put your template in place and attach it securely. :D Then use a pattern bit, a straight edge with a bearing on top of the cutting edge, to route the basic shape (with square corners) Then get a roundoff bit (probably 3/4" would be best to give you a fully round edge). This bit will have a round edge with the bearing on the bottom of it. Use it without the template. *Be sure* you have the body securely fastened down to the table and the pattern securely attached to the body. And make sure your template has smooth edges all the way around too.:cool: Otherewise you will get some bumps that are hard to smooth out.

Any good building supply store should have the bits, or better yet go to a specialized wood workers store. The people there should be very knowledgable about routing and happy to help you with suggetions. There are a plethora of :help: books available too.

Oh, and did I say to make sure everthing is fastened down securely before you start?;)

20. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    The SD MM pickups sound better than the Bart MMs, and the Alnico SD is better than the Ceramic SD. G&L pickups and electronics sound great in other basses.