Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first custom!..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tecx, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    A local luthier here in Saint John (he is formaly from so cal) Paul Steven and I are building my first custom bass. It is a travel bass (kinda like the ns double bass), but in a 5 string fretless with a high mass hipshot bridge, Gotoh soapbar, standard headstock, and a bart preamp. All kinds aof crazy wood two (more info to come), the one thing I do know is that the neck/body is going to be a 50 year old piece of birdseye maple (with 4 stingers through it, the same wood that the fretlines/headstock laminet are going to made of).
    it is also going to have dual output jacks 1 stereo, 1 mono, so I can plug my headphones right in. It should be AWSOME!.. I will post pics and more info on the woods and such soon...

cheers

Alex

2. Sounds awesome! I've been looking for a luthier in this area. Does he have a website? If you don't mind asking, what's the approximate price range? Keep us posted, I'd love to know how yours turns out.

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Sweet! Definately let us knwo what you end up dropping on it. Wish I could afford a custom axe!

4. RoosterRusek

RoosterRusek

Dec 13, 2002
    Atlanta, Ga
    I am having my first custom delivered this Sat (12/28) and cannot wait for it to arrive. Here are the stats...

6 String

Body is Zebrawood

Neck is 7 piece of Rock Maple, Brazilian Cherry and Wenge, nech through.

Fingerboard is ebony with bone inlays at the standard places

Electronics by EMG

Tuners and bridge by Hipshot.

High gloss finish and I think I may pass out when it is delivered.

If you live in the Atlanta area and are looking for a phenomenal custom builder I'll be happy to refer you. You will not be dissappointed.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Why don't you try to find some woods that won't make you suck.

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    damn!.. I meant such, sorry - thanks for pointing it out...

7. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    HOW MUCH?.. I just got my quote, and I think I need to go to the doctor...

8. RoosterRusek

RoosterRusek

Dec 13, 2002
    Atlanta, Ga
    Mine was not chgeap, but it is what I wanted which is a playable piece of art.

It cost me $3800 but I got to pick out EVERYTHING, the woods, electronics etc....The guy is not as fast as some luthiers but is ridiculously detail oriented.

If you are interested the company is called Chapman Custom Guitar Builders and the phone number is 770-592-9108. Tell him Paulie gave you number. Good luck

9. RoosterRusek

RoosterRusek

Dec 13, 2002
    Atlanta, Ga
    Oh yeah, his name is Greg Suther.