my first DB post/question

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by BassDude24, Mar 8, 2001.

1. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I hope that I get some response, I am fairly active with the amplified electric group, but not too active with the DB forum.

I was wondering. I didn't get my own bow untill this past year. I had always used the school cheap POS fiberglass. I have been playing for 5 1/2 years, but I didn't get a clue about playing till two years ago, so I started to take lessons, and I got my own bass. (I have since stopped the lessons)

So, the question:
    I have started to notice what look like little black dots on my bow hair. When I look closely, it appears as if I have little beads of rosin on my bow. I can take them off, but only hair by hair, and most of the time the hair will break. So, is this normal? Is it good or bad? Should it be removed? if so, how? or, should I get it re-haired? if so, what precautions should I take to prevent this from happening?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Just guessing, but it's probably just dirt that's stuck to the hair by the rosin. You can/should use a little bit of alcohol every now and then to clean the hair.
  3. I use a toothbrush soaked in alcohol. It does the job, But I have to remember not to put it back in the Bathroom...;)
  4. There. Didja see that? Didja see that? A BG guy came in and did NOT get mugged. Somebody tell the moderator we don't need no moderator, although he's always welcome to stop in for a visit.

Dude, With a fiberglass bow it doesn't matter, but try to avoid getting alcohol on the stick. It's good practice for that big day in the future, when you become an arco playing fool with a $3,000 bow.
  5. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I apprecieate not being "bashed" and I am not just a BG guy. I plan on becoming more active in this forum. I started the BG and DB at the same time, and when I thought about quiting playing the DB a friend of mine that did the same thing told me not to, so I didn't, and I am glad.

Is alchohol really a good idea, never heard of that one, I suppose I should start taking lessons again, that way I could ask him, but since I'm not I'll ask you guys, and I'll love ya for it.

And don't think that I am still playing with the fiberglass of h*** no. The one I have now is not all that good and not even $1,000, but I am only 17 and don't have the cash for pernambuko (let me know it I spelled that wrong) so i setteled for what I got and am happy.
  6. 24 Skidoo -
    Don't get too comfortable. We can turn on you quicker than you can say, as you did, "I have since stopped taking lessons." Wrong move.

I read your post too quickly re fiberglass. Before using alcohol, you can try 2 things. With regular bowing tension on the hair, run a dry toothbrush through the hair from the frog to the tip. Gently, not like you're scrubbing tile grout. The other thing is to simply draw the bow in a downbow direction over clean, soft cloth. If that doesn't work, you can try the alcohol. The specks could be dirt, but they also could be rosin flecks; can't know without seeing.
    Yes, resume lessons A.S.A.P., especially if you're using the bow.
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dude, that's "we don't need no STEEENKIN moderator".

isn't it? :D

besides, i've told you guys, i'm just here like that little dude at the end of the rocky and bullwinkle cartoons, who would sweep up after the parade. :D