Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first demo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by StoutXXX, Jun 30, 2004.

1. http://www.modernmusicstudios.com/music/happyendings.mp3 Finally got a 4 song demo out with my metal hardcore band Machinegun Kelley. This is one of our tracks Happy endings are for movies and massage parlors. Enjoy and let me know what you guys and gals think if you can get past all the screaming.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I was loving it till the singer opened his mouth. Good playing, get a different singer.

3. well, I for one like it. I don't really like the screaming, it doesn't fit with the music imo, until the the outro. I like how the two guitars (or at least two guitar parts) play two different things (a growing problem in metal today...two guitarists who sound the exact same [because they both have les pauls or what have you] and play the exact same thing...i hate that)
    i give it an "a" I'd go to your show!

Charlie

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The bass playin' is great! :bassist:

That style of vocalizing has got to go! Musicians should be the only ones in the band. That 'devil voiced' vocal style has no place in music IMO! :eyebrow:

Oh, did I say the bass playin' was great?! :D

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Can't say I hate it, but it's pretty standard issue metalcore.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I like it! I don't even mind the screaming, though I would tell him to try and be a little less loose with enunciating the words, but he's got the tone and grit of it right. Maybe some vocal effect on the end part? Nice work!

Two ninjas for you!! :ninja: :ninja:

7. I like the playing but once I heard the singer I cracked up laughing. Please, please get another singer !

Sounds like Yaa eh yeah el ya ya la boom bom booooom ayyyyyaa !!

8. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Really like your transitions - smooth. The band sounds tight and the bass playing is excellent. The intro almost reminded me of 80's metal (made me nostalgic). I didn't care for the vocals, but I'm a poor judge since I've never favored that style.

Keeping going and good luck!

9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    get rid of the vocalist! It sounds like Ironmaiden with the berzerkers singer.

10. Wow I really appreciate all the comments good and bad. Thanks to everyone who complimented the bass. But regardless, our singer has got to stay. hes to much of an inspiration to all of us and if you knew us you would understand. Im glad someone appreciated melodies and dual guitar playing. as far as standard metalcore Brendan I cant fight that one. We do sound like european/80's metal and N.C. hardcore. But hey,... having fun and playing out is all anyone really asks these days. Thanks everyone once again good and bad. You dont learn from what you do right.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you're having fun, doesn't matter what anyone else things. How else do you explain death metal?

12. Haha...this is great!

I love it. Got any other songs?

I actually like the singer and I think he has a great band behind it...and finally you can hear the bass in metalcore:)

13. I agree. I actually like the vocals - but as Bliss said, try to get him to enunciate the words a little better and it'll be great. I scream myself and sometimes you worry too much about the sound and forget that you've gotta make sense too. Anyways, great job. If you've got any more songs, post em! Good work. :bassist:

Leigh

14. Awesome. I was really stoked that the bass didnt get buried especially with the limited time we had to deal with stuff. we ran my ampeg set up for mids, direct for lows, and a little bass practice amp like 15 watts for highs and a spector for 2 tracks and a musicman for the other two. I have those three other songs on the demo if anyone can send a PM or something to help with with converting them and serving or what not let me know. The studio put up that one track for us. Thanks again! \m/

15. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    i rekon that all u shood get ur bass and accidently smash himover the head with it...then replace ur singer...

amazing besides ur singer!!

16. Hey man, don't worry about the vocalist. My singer actually sings and you can't tell what the hell he's saying either. I actually liked the song and I really don't generally dig metal of any sort. I'd say there is definitely a place for you guys. Post more.

17. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    ditto to everyone who bashed your singer and complimented the band and your playing. But hey I'm used to all singers sucking.go instrumental, WOOHOO! once again great playing / music.... your "singer" kinda sounds like hes just regurgitating or vurping all over the place... (yes vurping and not burping)

18. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Hey man, I listened and don't stress about all the singer comments. It goes along great for that style of music (if you're going for hardcore like you said in your first post). If you were local I would definitely check out a show.