Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first distortion question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jan 31, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

Yesterday I was talking with my bandmates (the rock band) and discussed a set list for this year (no activity during 2005) and one of the songs we agreed to play is Motörhead's "Ace Of Spades". I love that tune and I'd really like to play it (and it's pretty easy despite the fact that I hardly use a pick. The only aspect I have to work on for this piece is authority), but you know about Lemmy's approach to bass playing. To me, he's sort of a rhythm guitarist playing a bass, so here's my question: Since I have almost no experience with distortion, what would you recommend to use for this? Bear in mind that my intention is NOT to emulate Lemmy's tone. I perfectly know that I need a Ric, a Marshall stack, full mids and almost zero bass and treble, but again, that's not my intention. I'm just looking for advice on a serious distortion effect (the ones that come in my Zoom BFX-708 sound like a toy) that may work for playing this song. I'd also like to know if you think that the EQ MUST be altered in such a radical way (as Lemmy does) since muddiness using distortion on bass looks like a big problem to me. Thank you in advance! :)

2. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Search for English Muff'n as there's been some interesting discussions/demos posted here. Incredebly versitile and little to no low end loss :D

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I think you might be looking for a Fulltone Bassdrive. It's a little pricey for only using it for one song, but once you have it, you will find many more reasons to leave it on. Good luck.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been able to get a sound kind of like that from a Big Muff. IIRC, Lemmy just overdrove the hell out of an Ampeg rig.