Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first ever bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Well, today has been a strange day of reminiscences... I walked into my local music shop in search of some new strings, and my eyes were strangely drawn to a slightly battered-looking P-alike on the wall. So, I took a closer look, and...

It was the first bass I ever owned! Hanging there on the wall!

I hadn't seen that bass in 12 years! I paid £65 for it in 1990, it's an "Axe" bass that I "customised" a bit - I sanded the paint off the neck, painted my own decal (complete with Letraset lettering) on the headstock and added a Seymour Duncan bridge J pickup. Didn't take away from the fact that it was a cheap plywood beater, though. So, in the name of nostalgia, I pulled it off the wall and plugged it in. Then I remembered why I sold it... :D It sounded and played, er, unremarkably.... The shop had it up for £149, more than twice what I paid for it. I must say, I was tempted though, to have my first ever bass back in my ownership again... common sense got the better of me though!

Russ :bassist:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ahah thats coo. did you sell it to someone in ur local area, becase that would explain it.

3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Yep, sold it to a girl who lived near me... she was a beginner too, she must have either given up or moved up to something better (which isn't difficult!).

There are a couple of basses I've owned previously that I would like to get back, especially a semi-custom 4-string that I sold to the Bass Cellar in Denmark St a few years back - basically, it was a Brandoni through-neck body that I gave to Martin Petersen at the Gallery to work on, and I got a rather mean looking black 4-string with 28 frets, a Kahler trem and a Bartolini MME pickup! I really regret selling it now, that bass almost saved my life more than once... anyone in London seen it?

Russ :bassist:

4. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    I had a similar experience on Monday, and I saw a Dillion bass with Bartolini MME for sale. So I called them up and went up there and to my surprise it was the same bass. I know because I had the Bart installed with a coil splitter where one of the tone controls would normally go, and I installed a bad a$$ bridge myself and the bridge that came with the bass was so big that when I put the bad a$$ on you could barely see the screw holes of the bridge that I replaced. So I bought it but alas I am taking it back tomorrow because four strings just don't do it for me anymore. Nice bass though I bought it when Dillion first came out for like 350.00 it's maple with an ash veneer clear coated really beautiful, also the frets are mounted right into the neck no seperate board makes for a really in your face response. I bought it back for 200.00 heck the bridge and pickup are worth that much.