1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first ever NBD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassestkkm, Feb 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. image. image. image. It's a "new to me" CIJ Fender Jaguar bass. Circa 2007 I think. I've been lusting over one ever since I first saw one in 2006 and played it at my local Best Buy when their music room/ in house guitar store opened. The store has since gotten rid of their musical instrument department but my desire for one has not changed. So when it was announced that these were no longer going to be made and the plant in Japan closed I know my window was closing until they appreciated in value a bit. So, I found what I thought was a good deal and drove 250 miles today to get this beauty.

One more pic with the whole family of basses.
    image.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    JimmyM, nixdad, Fat Steve and 57 others like this.
  2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Great story and cool bass. Enjoy it!

bassestkkm and P. Aaron like this.
  3. Ductapeman

Ductapeman Ringmaster and Resident Geriatric Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2016
    The West Pole
    I started life as a drummer, but I got better
    Nice, very nice! She looks very well cared for. I've had the hots lately for one just as red as they can paint it, and absolutely no idea why . . .

bassestkkm and 47th Street like this.
  4. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Congrats! Love it!!

bassestkkm likes this.
  5. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung They’s only two things that money can’t buy... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    That is a GREAT shot, UP the tree!
    ...my new screen saver!
    The first guitar player I ever played with...1968...played a cream-colored Jaguar. I've loved the contours ever since. I was SO happy to see them make a comeback!
    It's beautiful!
    (As we say here in Georgia) "You must be livin' right!":thumbsup:

6. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Love that pic up the tree.:thumbsup:

7. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I had a Jaguar guitar, and I'm assuming the controls work similarly (correct me if I'm wrong please)

But the one of the three switches, the first from the back is a low-cut filter on the guitar.

What does that do on the bass? Same thing?

bassestkkm likes this.
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Congrats on scoring the bass you wanted. Now play that thing and get it rockin' with a group.

bassestkkm likes this.
  9. BassAt33

BassAt33

Nov 29, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    That is so cool man! Beautiful Bass too. Congratulations and ENJOY

bassestkkm likes this.
  10. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on your new bass. Enjoy.

I rotated you tree pic around and did a little cropping. Just in case you might like it......here ya go.

jaguar%201_zpsulubgmup.

Pocket4, BlueMINI, spaz21387 and 21 others like this.
  11. Twangster101

Twangster101 You gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?

Aug 6, 2012
    South Mississippi
    Congratulations. Cool bass and pic. Rock on brother.

bassestkkm likes this.
  12. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I occasionally sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    I have the exact same awesome bass except mine has a white pick-guard.. The 3 switches are: top (neck side) is the neck pup on/off; middle witch is bridge pup on/off; 3rd switch is series/parallel; When all 3 switches are pushed towards the side, the guitar is muted.

On the upper horn side the switch is the on/off for the active electronics. The wheel closest to the switch will allow you to add or subtract treble in active mode; the other roller allows you to add or reduce low end in active mode.

In addition, the master tone switch functions in both passive and active mode. I understand the USA versions do not allow the master tone to work in active mode.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    bassestkkm likes this.
  13. I was lusting for one years ago when they came out. I think they're beautiful and play nice, and sound incredible. Its a shame they stopped making them! Congratulations!

bassestkkm likes this.
  14. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Yikes... If you fiddle with the switches knobs and wheels enough, can you get it to sound like a P. :D

bassestkkm likes this.
  15. LowNloud1

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I occasionally sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    Congratulations KKM! You have what I think is one of the best basses that Fender has made. The range of tone is fantastic. the neck is thin and fast. The quality is as good as any USA made Fender I have ever played.

What you have is a 2nd "Deluxe" generation Jaguar. They introduced the 3-color Sunburst in 2010. It had a short run and they are no longer made in Japan or in the Jazz pup configuration. It should be marked "Made in Japan" on the back of the neck near where it is joined to the body.

The Japanese Fenders are well regarded. There are Strats made in Japan that are highly desired and I believe this guitar will remain desirable in the years to come.

I bought mine new in 2012 and it is my main performance bass. Enjoy it and make use of its tonal versatility.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  16. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    NICE bass! Congrats.

bassestkkm likes this.
  17. LowNloud1

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I think they are more akin to a Jazz but I don't have a lot of experience with P basses. There is great "Jazz" growl and I suspect it could be dialed in to sound like a P. I will have to defer to someone who has had the experience. Also, I have only used round wounds on mine so that limits me a bit.

18. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Well that's a good thing,

Ps sound best with rounds. :thumbsup:

Barbaric.Eric likes this.
  19. Okstatefan

Okstatefan

Jul 26, 2015
    Dangit! Now I want one. I've never seen one before.

bassestkkm likes this.
  20. Man, how long did that Best Buy music store thing last, a year? Seems like I went into a couple, then gone, washers and dryers.

Cool bass, OP, congrats.

bassestkkm likes this.