Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My First Experience With A Nordstrand

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Hey all,

I caught a gig for the Scott Pazera Quartet last night. Of course I was looking forward to checking out Scott's incredible playing but I also had something else on my mind. Being able to see a Nordstrand for the first time!

The already famous Redwood NX7 was all I could imagine and more. The first thing I noticed when Scott first handed it to me was the neck profile. It was the most comfortable neck I've ever experienced on a bass. The heel block was carved to perfection and offered unimpeded access to all 29 frets. Upon further inspection, Carey's flawless fretwork was very apparent. I haven't held every bass out there, but this bass has the most demanding attention to detail I've seen.

The bass is also incredibly light! There are Jazz's out there that outweigh this bass. For those that think 7's are only cumbersome and unwieldily, this bass couldn't be more the opposite. It's very manageable while still retaining an overall feeling of distinct quality. Alot of times weight and quality go hand-in-hand. Carey's found a way to make an extraordinary product while maintaining extreme playability.

The tone was also exemplary. This is what a bass should sound like! When Scott first soloed in the high register, I was on the edge of my seat to hear what this bass could do. I was pleasantly surprised to hear such a natural and pure high-end. Across the whole tonal spectrum, this bass was even and once again, pure. That's a good word to describe the tone on this masterpiece.

Overall, I'm blown away by Carey's work. I had an idea of what to expect when I saw my first Nordstrand. I guess I wasn't prepared to this extent. The NX7 was truly awe-inspiring.

Kudos on a wonderful piece of luthiery, Carey.

Those of you with a Nordstrand on order that may have not seen one in person, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I can assure you of that.

[​IMG]

2. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Such a cool bass! Thanks for the review.

Marshall

3. No problem, Marshall. It really is an awesome bass!

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That bass looks tremendous :D ... one thing I really like about the design is that the knobs are located far away from the bridge. Keeps 'em out of the way when palm-muting the strings... wish more mfrs took this into account.

5. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've admired that bass since seeing it on Carey's "What's New" page! :bassist:
    I might have miss this along the way but...what kind of finish does the NX7 have? I don't see a glossy shine in any of the photos I've seen so does it have an oil finish?

Jon

6. It's Carey's satin finish. Very nice feeling.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Bernie, you know.. you look a LOT like Anthony Jackson! ;)

I am not a 7 string player, but that one was the feeling one i have held. Too bad Scott doesn't play the crap out of it, huh? :rolleyes: :D

8. Haha! Well, I've been meaning to make a new avatar but I haven't got around to it yet. Have to work on that. :ninja:

Yeah, it would be nice if that bass would've went to a capable player. :D Yeah right! He made that thing sing last night!

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    lucky dude, bernie!

I would have loved to catch Scott playing... never mind catching a Nord up close.

10. Both enviable events for sure!

What really stands out to me on this bass is the neck. The whole construction of the bass is magnificent, but the way the neck feels and the transition block is just like butter. Nothin' but good.

11. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    *envy*

Yeah from the looks of the site, the heel carve almost looked like what Carey does for SC's. I bet that was the most comfy.

ya know AG is right, you do resemble Anthony Jackson a lot.

12. Alright!! I'm changing this avatar pronto! :D

Yeah, the heel was really a thing of beauty. I've never felt a transition that smooth. Really amazing stuff.

Will you guys be at Summer NAMM?

13. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Thanks for the review Bernie.

i have never even seen one in person, but i have one on order. i based my decision because of the way it looks, some of the sounds from basstasters (thanks Vanselus), but primarily my decision was made because i have not read a single bad comment on Careys craftsmanship.

the people who can and do buy these high end instruments are a tough crowd to please, and yet Carey does it over and over again.

Does Scott come on to TB to post at all?

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    and you won't !
    :)

15. That's for sure!

16. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    no need to change your avatar, just kidding with you... AJ is one of the greats, keep it.

Mostly likely, I have some summer gigs in Evansville and Mich City towards the middle of the summer, so who knows.

17. No problem, man. I've been meaning to change it anyways.

Let me know when you make it to Michigan City. I'm real close to there. Would be cool to check out a show.

I'm looking into making it to Summer NAMM. Hope to see some of you cats there.

18. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Mostly likely I'll be playing at Sullivans again in Michigan City, not too far from the beach/lake... someone else books that power pop trio. Will let you know.

You know that there is a TB'er that owns that Epifani cab that AJ is playing in your 'new' Avatar...

19. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey...I think you still look like AJ!!! :eek:

NX6 will be my next Nordie... :D

20. Cool...

Yeah, I see that he had it for sale not too long ago. Wish I would've had the money to snatch it up. :crying: