1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first experience with biamping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by protoz, Apr 16, 2010.

1. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Earlier this week I picked up a Bass Big Muff from Simon Langley here on TB and figured I'd give the dry output a spin tonight.

After adjusting volumes on both amps and getting the big muff to sound right I was hooked. The biggest problem I had to figure out was why the dirty side still had some clean to it. I forgot to change the dry switch to bass boost and then I was off. Volume was a bit hard to manage in my apartment. I kept wanting to turn them up to get the full effect.

The only thing that could beat this is if I used my rick-o-sound and tri-amped it!

Here was my test setup

Amp 1 - Dirty
    80s Sunn Coliseum 300
    Sunn 215

Amp 2 - Clean
    1968 Sunn Sorado
    GK 1x15 I put an Eminence Kappa into.

The Sorado gets a sweet overdrive sound when it's pushed so I left it clean for when I wanted that sound. The Coliseum 300 is clinically clean and could use some dirt.

I'll be picking up a 2x10 or 2x12 soon so maybe I'll try that tri-amp idea with my Sunn 300T as well.

2. If I'm understanding you correctly, this is not bi-amping. Bi-amping is when you utilize n active crossover to separate the low and high frequencies before feeding the signals to two power amps, each dedicated to the chosen frequency.

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

+1. It might be considered stereo, or probably multi-amping.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Stereo sounds right, but definately not biamping. Though I can see how the term might be confusing, since you're using 2 (bi) amps.

5. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Yeah, like it's already been noted, what you're doing is not bi-amping, but running two amps in a clean/dirty setup. Some guitarists send the effected or 'wet' signal of their delays/reverbs to a second amp, can make a huge improvement in clarity & scale. Your experimenting sounds totally cool, keep us posted how it goes.

6. I would have called that bi amping too.

Is there a stombox crossover that splits the frequency to send to two amps? because if so, consider me GASing!