1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first experience with flats.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bigmoosepi, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Well I finally decided to give them a go and got some rotosound 77s in 50-110 for DGCF tuning.

Heres the story, I plugged in my bass with the rounds (rs66) on and set the amp flat and played for a bit to keep the sound in my head with me. Took off the rounds, put on the flats, plugged back in and....

it didn't sound any different. :confused:

Has this happened to anyone else or am I some freak of nature?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Roto flats are brighter than most, but they can't have sounded exactly the same. It's probably selective hearing....my two cents.

3. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Jul 21, 2012
    I love flats, especially for recording.

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Agreed. Rotosound flats are reputed to be some of the brightest flatwounds in existence...but I don't see how they could even come close to the tone of Rotosound Swing Bass 66s. Those things are unreal! :eek:

MM

5. Roto flats are notoriously bright and clanky... if the 66s were well broken in and the 77s were fresh out of the pack, I could almost see that happening.

GHS or LaBellas would be a totally different story – guarantee it.

6. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    For the last 1 week I've had Chromes E-G (flats) and a Sunbeam for the B string (nickel round). While this was an emergency measure and I won't keep it like that, tone wise they are not too far off, especially in a mix. I was very surprised as well.

7. Interesting, I might try some fenders or chromes next.

I chose the 77s because I still wanted that midrange growl but with some more thud and less fizz than the 66s. The 66s weren't brand new but they were still pretty lively though.

Maybe tone really is all in your hands.

I'm still pretty happy with them though, the pbass I'm using them on is a parts bass made by myself and its well, not very good. The action has to be pretty high or it buzzes to all **** and the flats have made the high action much easier on my fingers. The main thing I wanted to achieve was thinner strings (the 66s were bottom 4 of a 5 string set, 65-130) but still have the higher tension for lower tunings. This bass can do C std D std and E std all very comfortably now and I've still got my 62 avri with 45-105 roto 66s on.

you could say I have, all basses covered.

8. Fender flats will definitely put you in "that midrange growl" territory.

9. okay after a few days with it I've fallen in love. I think from now on at least one of my basses will have a set of flats on it.

Playing up over the neck joint I can get this brilliant percussive "boingy" sound. Paired with tube amp breakup it sounds glorious.

10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've done that and actually liked it. On my Carvin Icon the B string on a TI flat set was a little muddy and dead sounding compared to the other strings. Put a nickel round on it (don't remember what, but probably D'Adarrio) and it sounded good, and had a very similar tone to the E. Worked well.

Upright players often mix different strings to get the sound they want, like gut on some and steel on others, so I don't think it is that weird.

I have also tried a Chrome C string on a 6 string bass where the nickel round sounded too thin and bright (almost guitar like) and the flat was fatter sounding and mixed with the RW set better.

Always keep an open mind and think outside the box (or string package as it were). ;) You never know what you will like. Sometimes happy accidents occur.

11. hqcEoex.

12. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Jul 27, 2013
    NEPA
    I miss that show.

13. G-MonRV5

G-MonRV5 Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Indiana
    I recently entered into the world of flatwounds when I put a set of Rotosound 77's on my P-bass. Holy cow! Those things are bright for flats!

I had read that about the Rotosounds on TB posts, but was still surprised at how zingy they turned out to be. The P-bass sounds more like Chris Squire than James Jamerson with those things on it!

They do have a very interesting sound, and I can see how they might be suitable for a lot of settings, but that's not exactly what I wanted from a set of flats. The next time around, I will probably opt for a LaBellas to get more of that mellow thump that I was expecting.

14. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    [

When playing with a bit of grind/overdrive the harmonics get compressed and accentuated which masks the strings inherent sound and sort of levels the playing field.