Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My First Family

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I just recieved my newest bass!!
    A Cort Curbow Fretless 5 String with Custom QuadCoil Bartolini...

So here are the pics of my Curbow Family and my gear on the background.
    My two babies, C.Curbow 6 String and C.Curbow 5 String Fretless:
    [​IMG]

Me and my fretless:
    [​IMG]

And the Custom Bart:
    [​IMG]

I will be adding another Curbow in this year or the next one... Maybe if Greg makes a 7 String.

Comments please!!
    If you want to know more about Cort Curbow basses please feel free to ask, as I really love this instruments.

And I invite all who have families (Many basses of the same brand) to post their pics!

[Edited by lfabara on 01-22-2001 at 11:02 PM]

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Nice.. (considering that I cannot even see the bass on that picture)

I have been talking with Greg Curbow lately, and he told me some about his future projects with Cort and Im very exited about em.
    He also offered to build me a custom 7 string bass for the modic price of $4700 ....(list)
    So I just said.. "ehhh.. ok... maybe someday"
    I ask him to design a 7 String Luthite Curbow, so that could be on my future list.

Hey John, why dont you post your Conklin Family in this thread. Is always nice to see your basses... (Lol)

4. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    nice!!!!

ummm....i think your head got cut off!

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Actually Im a Headless Bass player!!
    :D

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Hey what kind of wood/finish is that on the fretless 5? I ask because it is so incredible.

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Thanks!!

That´s the best part...
    It is not wood. It is Luthite and the finish is a Burled Walnut like Satin paint. Its just great.

[Edited by lfabara on 01-23-2001 at 04:57 PM]

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wouldn't that be awesome? if they came out with a cort curbow 7 string? i'm prolly gonna get the six. are the fretboards on those basses flat or curved (convex, i should say)? your fretless looks a little curved, but i can't tell on you fretted...and your're right, the bridges definitely don't look like they're flimsy at all. i would like to play one though, and no one around here has them. hmmmm...oh well...

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

neptoon, there are no Mars stores around?

They carry Cort Curbows.

As I am sure that Ifabara will tell you, the fretboards are no more curved than on most electric basses, it is an optical illusion caused by a combination of the angle the bass is at in the picture and that cool scoop at the end of the fingerboard.

10. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Hey Iffy! What are the future Cort/Curbow projects??!!?? We're dying to know the dirt!

11. That picture of the Curbow 7 string is awesome. A beast.

12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    About the Fingerboard Curvature:
    It has a 15" Radius.. so its pretty flat and very nice.

About Greg Curbow´s Projects on the Cort Curbow line:
    Im not authorized to tell, but Greg asked me about the basses showing the "Cort" emblem, Bill Conklin didnt allow Cort to put their emblem on the Groove Tools line, so Greg is thinking of doing the same.

Other stuff includes "someone asked it for on this thread" thats all what I can say, as Greg was very reserved on that, because he is just starting conversations with Cort about that project.

He also asked me, about the construction of my basses, If I was happy, and what would I improve, so we were talking about Graphite/steel reinforcements on the neck, and adding some weight on the low part of the bass, so It would balance better. (I have read on talkbass.com that many people say its neck heavy) Althought the bass is very lightweight.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    How's this?
    [​IMG]

This bass is so sweet.

14. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    NOOOOOW I SEEEE IT!!!!
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Greg Curbow is a GENIOUS!!!!

uhmm.. IT is SO black!! :D

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, isnt't that sweet? yeah, that's right...no mars music stores around here...isn't that wack?

16. embellisher

That is wack, neptoon.

Hey, that 7 stringer is awesome!!!

Ifabara, if Greg wants to do something to make the Corts better, he should get them to do away with that scarf joint on the neck. It makes me nervous just looking at one when I pick them up at Mars. Sweet playing basses, btw.

I have never heard of anybody having the problem with a Cort Curbow, but I have known a lot of people with other guitars and basses with a scarf joint like that which broke when a little stress was put on it.

Graphite reinforcement would be nice too.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You won't find this 7 at MARS :D
    [​IMG]

I had a scarf joint separate on a Washburn about 6 years ago, just before going on at a gig:eek: Fortunately I always take two basses. I've heard many times that the scarf joint should be the strongest part of the neck but it's something I look for every time ... and avoid. Call me overly cautious... or just plain chicken.

18. embellisher

You won't find that 7 at Mars, and you won't find a scarf joint on any of Greg's hand built basses either.

Of course, you won't find rockwood on a Cort model, or ebanol on one of Greg's.

But for what they are, the Corts are a decent bass at a good price.

I almost bought a 5 a few months back, but the scarf joint combined with the fact that I don't like 1 pickup basses(unless they are tapped, switchable coils, etc) made me decide against it.

19. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Pardon my ignorance, but what the hell is a scarf joint????? An elongated piece of wood past the neck bolts???

20. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    A Scarf joint is like this:

------\\----||||
    ------//----||||

The part with the \\\ is a joint of the two pieces represented by the ====, the ||| represents the headstock.

Uhmm I think Im gonna have to post a pic of it...
    (Im taking the picture while writting this)
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the Quality, It was taken with my Web cam, wich sucks a bit for taking pictures. (I think Im gonna add a Digital camera to my G.A.S. list.)

I think it rests explained now.