1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first fan!! ha!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by lowenduser, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Well, my pc is in for repair, and have been visiting my local internet cafe 2 do my usual e-mails etc. I can afford 2 relax 2night, as I'm not gigging, and the significant other has taken the kids and friends 2 the cinema.

So, about twenty minutes ago, the person at the pc right opposite me's head kept looking up and over at me, and back down. He eventually gets up, comes round 2 me (slight panic was setting in)..... and whey ho! "are u that bloke that plays bass in that band? What are they called? I usually see you in the Vipar Lounge"

(relief sets in)

"yes indeed" silence...... slight panic again

"cool....can u come round to my computer - I'm on msn to my friend and we're on webcam..... She doesn't believe I've met you"

Round I go..... There's a little square on msn with his friend on it and all the internet place heard was an "Oh my God it's you"........ (I had never seen webcam in action, and all I said was "Oh my God, it works"). Now he's just after leaving...... I'm a bit gobsmacked........ I've been round the scene here for years and that's the first anyone's stopped me outside the safe environment of a gig venue.......... :D

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's awesome!

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    You use 2 instead of "to", but then type out twenty?

4. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    i had a coupla fans once, back when i was in the 6th form. they generally took the form of 15 year old alt girls, sadly too young to become groupies.

5. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    wow people actually notice the bassist. anyways congrats

6. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    that happened to me once too, only my friends and i were walking outside a movie theatre to go to an electronics store, and i was asked to take a picture with these "15 year old alt. girls" :p (i'm 15 too, so it's not annoying at all).

7. sweet

8. anonymous_111514

anonymous_111514 Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    I was in walmart with my cousin (by the way these walmarts you guys have in america are awsome!) and this girl comes up to us and goes "hey arent you that swiss guy that plays bass in zenzen?" and it made me feel so proud

9. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Not really a fan but I was noticed!!!!
    One time at a gig with one of my old bands a woman approached me and asked if my name was Keith. I told her yes it was and she then asked if I was the guitar player in a "college\party" band back in the day. I said yes. My guitarist rolled his eyes. I felt kinda stupid.

10. Yeh - I noticed!! Just the way I type I guess!! I also used "u" instead of "you", typed "that" instead of the shorthand "dat", "they" instead of "dey" etc. etc.......:eyebrow:

Anyway.... yeh.... was pretty cool!! Mind u, how do these big time guys put up with it all the time - Once or twice I guess gives u a buzz, but I can imagine standing there in the supermarket with my milk and bananas and kids hanging off u, and someone accosting u 4 an autograph!!

Oh - with regard "noticing the bassist", I wonder how many gig-goers actually differentiate between a guitarist and bassist, and especially if the singer has a guitar strapped round him/her as well.... I have a feeling that there's a large proportion just sees a few "guitars" on stage

11. tr68gt

tr68gt Acme Corporation Beta Tester

Aug 2, 2006
    Naples, Florida
    I was walking into a local establishment a couple weeks ago to shoot some pool with my friends, and this old guy is sitting outside drinking his beer and he asked me "Aren't you the feller that plays guitar?" and I said "Well yea, I play bass", to which he replied "Yea, you played that big long red guitar". I thought it was amusing, because I haven't really played that much around here, and I have no idea where this guy saw me playing.

12. AGH... back at my internet cafe haunt again!! The gus know me by name at this stage I'd say..... That guy has just come in and sat beside me....... He won't shutup!! agggghhhhh.... What's a bass? Do u give lessons? How long have u been playing? What do you guys mean when they go on about their "style"? I never see you strumming like the other guy on the guitar-thing does.... why not

The language that is on the tip of my tongue..... I hope he's reading this actually as I'm typing this :D

OK... just told him politely I am working on gigs and rehearsal time in the studio...... Could he give me a few mins and I'll answer all his questions.... huh.... I AM too polite

13. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I've had people come up to me and be like "Aren't you that bass player." and then they compliment me or something like that. It feels really good, especially since I'm only 17, almost 18. This was mostly when I was gigging weekly at a particular club when I was 16, but there are actually people that still recognize me from those gigs and those were about a year ago that I stopped those gigs. And my hair used to be long (like past shoulders) and now my hair is like less than an inch long.