1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr Stankface, Jul 19, 2007.

1. And probably my last.

MIM Dexlue Active jazz w/ Badass II bridge. This is probably the second best Fender i've ever played. I've played many including MIM, MIJ, CIJ, MIA, and Custom Shops. The only Fender i've found better is a custom shop jazz.

Nice bass. Good slap tone. Finger tone is pretty solid. Not much of a pick player. It probably won't go anywhere. Although, it could never take a gig from any of my StingRay 5s. :p

DSC00613.

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Nice!

It's always great to find the "diamond in the rough."

I'm still looking.

3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Very sweet! I am thinking I will get a second Jazz down the road. They have a tone I just love. :hyper: Great colour combo BTW!

4. I'm new to the Fender world so is there any way to track the birth date of this bass?

Other than taking the neck off that is. I'm not THAT concerned. :p

5. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
  6. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    this worked for me, even told me the factory lol.

http://www.gui****aterproject.org/default.aspx

7. Awesome! Was a big help. Thanks alot guys!

So what do you guys think about switching out the preamp with a J retro?

8. Anybody?

9. TheDirtyMoocher

TheDirtyMoocher

Nov 11, 2004
    ...you're playing a 4 string...?

10. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    On a MIM? Overcapitalisation. Would be like building a triple garage under a one bedroom condo.

11. This bass feels and sounds better than any MIA Fender i've ever played so I figured why not?

I'll actually probably end up selling it. My SR5s eat Fenders from breakfast.

12. and what your trying to say is????

:rollno: :rollno:

13. Chandler Bing

Chandler Bing

May 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Uh, yeah, whatever.:rollno:

14. jbutler1982

jbutler1982

Jul 15, 2007
    The Fender 1960 Retro Jazz Pickups sound really good for a certain style of music. They are extremely smooth as opposed to most which are growly. A great pup if you are playing early-era Motown, Jazz, etc.. but not so much if you are playing more rock, metal stuff.

I use two in my SX SJB-57 and it has improved the sound drastically. That being said, I play the kind of music where growly, loud, attacking bass is completely out of place and a more upright-sounding, warm *thump* is preferable. If you think that sound is what you are looking for, I cannot recommend that Vintage 60s higher. They are also very easy to install.

15. TheDirtyMoocher is surprised because I don't play 4 strings. Hence, me having 5 StingRay 5s.

And I apologize. My SR5s don't eat Fenders for breakfast. That's lunch.

They eat Warwicks for breakfast. :p

16. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Funny, I just bought a '98 Fender P MIM. It was just about as nice as a new Highway One, far better than any other MIM I've played. I had just finished saying that I had no use for a 4 string, but I've had a thing for that P tone for a while and the wider string spacing makes a more aggressive playing style easier.

17. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Nice looking Jazz Stanky. Those deluxe active Jazzes are pretty sweet for the price. The Badass bridge is a nice addition too.

18. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    My first Fender was a natural P with a rosewood fingerboard and a white pickguard that was old and used when I got it around 1980 or so. I only played one bass and at one point I was using either a MM Sabre or a Yamaha BB1200S and I gave the P to a friend (working musician whose bass was in a hotel fire). I haven't seen him in 20 years, no idea if he still has it or what it would be worth today. It played great but the MM and Yamaha sounded better through cheap solid state amps.