My first finished instrument...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sal_Paradise, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Now, I know this is a bass forum, but, unfortunately,the first instrument I've made is a guitar. Now, I am a bassist by nature and basses are what I'll be making once the green is flowin' in. I made a guitar because I had all of the parts. Expect a bass from me in a month or two... or three.

For now, my guitar. And my thanks to everyone on this forum for inspiring and sharing their wealth of knowledge. I couldn't have done it without you.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    hmm....I'm not sure if it's just my comp but the images won't load. Perhaps you shoul dpoast them again.
  3. JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004
    I can't see them either. Congrats on the git-ah though.

4. Whoops! Sorry about that :smug:

I rushed it a bit, made a few mistakes and lacked some important tools, but it turned out pretty well.

Attached Files:

5. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    is that thing balanced? It seems like it would have a major neckdive.
  6. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    That thing looks funky, I like it. I have no problem with guitars, if there was a site this nice about guitars I would be all over it.
  7. It has so much less dive than you might think. I'm not saying it's balanced just... I'll just say it's a helluva lot better than my Warwick :bassist:
  8. what a kooky design. good job on completing your project.
  9. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've seen some basses Yamaha did back in the 60s and 70s, and your guitar reminds me a LOT of them, only these basses were funky colors like canary yellow.

What kind of wood did you use?
  10. The neck is maple, with a walnut stain.

The fb is just rosewood.

The nut is bocote.

The pickguard is cherry, with a walnut stain.

The pup cover is walnut.

The core of the body is maple, with the walnut stain.

The top wood is poplar, with two stripes of bocote

OH YEAH! And the knobs are... something. I dunno, I made them from a broom handle!
  11. And the back cavity cover is cherry :)

... I don't think I missed anything... ?
  12. I could so see that with a Parker fly type headstock. The body looks very cool though good job.
  13. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    A wooden handle, I assume. I think the handles are just pine, or some sort of hardwood dowel, at the most.