1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first five string. HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by awowatheunicorn, Apr 9, 2009.

1. awowatheunicorn

awowatheunicorn

Apr 9, 2009
    I have been playing bass for a while and decided I want to try a five string. I have two four strings and am sick of always tuning them up or down in the middle of a show. I figured a five string was the best way to go. I have very little money and want something dirt cheap just to try and see if I like. I was looking at this bass:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-LX205B-Series-II-5String-Bass-?sku=512229

What are your opinions and/or experiences with this bass? The brand? Any other bass recommendations?

2. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Eh.
    Rouge is a budget brand, in other words you get what you pay for. Usualy what your paying for is good stuff, espeicaly now that made in china bases (most) are good instruments. But for your suitation this is probaly just the thing, a cheap bass just to get a feel for a 5 'er.

3. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I've been considering this model for a while, but I decided after playing a Warwick 5er that I'd rather shell out some money for a hipshot extender.

4. Think You can easily find some good instrument from Ibanez or Cort etc... I tried these ones and for the price range, there are possibilities!!!

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    When you say tuning down, do you just mean the E string to say, D, for example?

If so, a much cheaper option would be a Hipshot D-tuner. I have them on both my main and back-up 4 strings. I used to play my 5 string exclusively, but I've come to realise I prefer the feel of a 4 for most of my playing, and only occasionally need to go lower than E. I do still use the 5 (hey, I have a six too when I come over all Dream Theater), but more for tonal variety than tuning option.

6. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Take a look at rondomusic.com offerings. Quite a few fivers under $150. Not a bad way to go. A lot so SX fans on TB.

7. +1....loves the SX:hyper:

8. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    don't leaev out the douglas basses - I have a douglas fretless 5 and I love the tone on this thing

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Most Definitely SX over Rogue... seriously....

10. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Never played an SX, but their Brice stuff is awesome for the price. Got my fretless 5-string for 150 US bucks and it's great. Good B-string too!

11. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    go for the stuff on rondo SX and such

rogue is a trash brand.

ibanez, spector, shecter, squire are the budget brands you should be looking at.
    also you can save alot of dough picking up a hip shot detuner really easy to install.

12. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Does Squier make a 5 string these days? Their stuff, like my VM fretless is awesome for the price (under 3 bills new)

13. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
  14. metdistortion

metdistortion

Aug 13, 2008
    England
    I dunno if they still make them, but the Washburn XB125 is great for the job. I got mine for only £180 (discount price), and it came with two nice pickups with active electronics, a decent B string and build and it looks great! :)

15. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I have a Peavey Millenium BXP 5 string. They are Underrated. Peavy's are good.