Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my first fretless recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 33degrees, Jun 4, 2005.

1. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Very groovy man! IMO, The bass could use a bit more tone, or the amp a bit more treble. That's my only comment.

You turned very "jaco-esque" near the end,I loved it man, congrats on your first recording! btw, i'm adding you to "the-space"

3. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Nice...

4. Cool stuff!

5. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    thanks for your feed back, much appreciated!!

yes! i think i need some new rotosound strings becuase i got the original fender strings that came with the bass ( i defretted a new usa jazz bass about 2 months ago and the strings are very smoth but not very bright at all) i recorded using the DI out on a very old GK 112 combo into a little mixer. im thinking about getting the new prog. sansamp pedal to record with.

6. I'm lovin' it! Great stuff!

P.S. Your tone is really good on my system. I wouldn't change anything.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yep. Maybe adjust the drums a little quieter, but the bass tone is great, and I love the playing. Very groovin', nice vibrato, and I really like your phrasing.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Very Cool.
    Keep it up.

9. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    From what I heard, it was pretty cool. Then I got fed up with my 56k connection. Is there anyway that someone could send the file to my email?

10. propea

propea

May 29, 2005
    Montreal,Quebec
    Very groovy but it sound 2 much like Jaco... try to personnalize ur style...

11. Andy Cleaver

Andy Cleaver A show of hands....

Dec 16, 2004
    England, Midlands
    Good stuff, I can definately hear some Jaco influence there! :)

12. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    ok, i don't know who this 'jaco' character is but just to show i'm not offended i recorded another tune to show that i'm not in anyway ripping anyone off! so now instead of 'Dreen Golphin Str' i put another tune up there...:

http://www.myspace.com/guyatone

13. You're kidding, right?

Anyhow, I did not like your version of "The Chicken". It was all over the place and had no real sense of cohesiveness. "Golphin" was much better (in my opinion).

14. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Interesting... No idea who he is and then you record his bass line on the chicken... By the by, I hear a lot of Jaco influence. Anyway I liked the first one better, Jaco does the chicken a little better...

15. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    ahhh you mean 'jaco' as in waco jaco, michael jackson!!!!yea i did cop some of his bass lines, it's true! in fact i really dig his walking tecnique i use it all the time for jazz type tunes, but yea Jaco does do a better version of the chicken than me, especially with those white gloves!

16. Monk

Monk

Jun 15, 2004
    Actually, they mean Jaco Pastorius, self proclaimed 'Best Player in the World'

if you don't know him I suggest you check him out.

17. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Yes Jaco Pastorius... Check out his stuff, if you really never heard of him. You sound a lot like him.

18. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    im only joshing with you guys. of course i know jaco, in fact i am really grateful to be even mentioned in the same sentence as him! so thanks even if i do a crap version its a compliment!

19. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I figured as much... You mentioned him as one of your influences in your profile.

20. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    yea jaco was the absolute greatest bassist that has ever and will ever live period! no one will ever come close, sure there are other bassists now (like wooten and that other guys with long hair and bad teeth that makes scribbly noises with graphite fretless basses) that are considered the so called new innovators but for me larry graham invented slap and jaco invented everything else!!!!