1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first fretless.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CatfishStudios, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Spent 275..got a great deal on a 98 MiM Jazz lined fretless, with a Hard case. Killer. Was looking at the Squeer VM fretless..which is a great bass..but with help from members of this forum, decided that the Fender was a better buy. I lose zero cash for "newness" even though its in great shape. Action is LOW and growls very nicly with the rounds on it. Tuners are loose and need upgraded..and the pots are a bit scratchy and stiff...but overall, Im very happy! The lined neck is making the transition from fretted to fretless effortless, I dont even look at the neck much but its nice to know they are there.No dots, on the board but small markers on the top edge..makes for a very clean look. I know I know, no pics no bass...ill get some up soon!

2. I just hit a harmonic, pressed it down..and slid it up the neck... May have to change my pants.
    That is amazing...
    well, I digress.... I ran out and shot a pic of my J-basses in sundown conditions which turned out horrible, and yet I am still going to post it for your amusement.

The black one is the new(to me) 1998 MIM Fender Jazz Fretless
    The burst is a 2006 Highway One....
    [​IMG]
    I swear I just polished the black one..played it and carried it out! Man it picks up fingerprints fast!

3. Very slick, congratulations on a nice bass!

4. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Congrats Bro, enjoy! I myself am waiting for my first fretless in transit from our neighbor to the north so it's a taking a little longer.

5. bassplayertom77

bassplayertom77

Sep 24, 2008
    Good luck! I had a hard time switching to fretless. Beautiful

6. 250GBsOfAwesome

250GBsOfAwesome

Jul 11, 2008
    I've also got a MIM Fretless, it's Midnight Wine though. Great bass although the construction and quality was less than I expected.

7. Thanks guys, yeah so far (last three hours) Ive been having a ball.. and although I have found some areas that need adjusting..the switch is not so bad...I may just lay off the fretted bass and play only this to speed up my transition...Im already not looking at the fingerboard 80 percent of the time. Practice, Practice Practice for me for a while! Since I suck at fretted, the transition to sucking at fretless is really just a small hop!

8. Hey Catfish, nice bass congrats!

I'm a newbie on fretless myself and find I'm playing it around the house all the time, sorta keeping it strapped on and playing scales and blues tunes to work on my left hand and improve my intonation. Mine's a G&L L-1500, ebony board without lines. I'm loving, it's very inspiring to play.

Enjoy it man.