Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my first fretless!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Howard K, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I got my first fretless last night. after 12 years i've finally made the jump!

An 1980 Ibanez Musician in almost perfect condition, just one small nick on the fretboard somewhere around F# on the E string, certainly not a show stopper. The body is pretty much clean and & the electronics are all working! £220 - a bargain!

I'm in love, I only hope my other lady doenst get jealous! :)

...alll i have to do now is learn how to play it!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I sold a fretted Ibanez Musican for £120!! Some years ago though! ;)

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Thanks a bunch Bruce ;)

I was going to try and talk him down, but when I saw the condition I didnt mind paying the asking price. I kinda feel obliged to talk down from teh asking price sometimes, but £220 is not exactly a fortune anyway.

4. Bruce Lindfield

No - it's not a bad price - the neck on mine had warped a bit and I was struggling to get the action/intonation right. I think the fretless ones always go for a bit more as this was what Sting famously used at the height of his Police fame.

About the time of "Message in a Bottle". There's a picture of it in Tony Bacon's "The Bass Book".

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    That was my main concern actually, that the neck might have twisted, does tend to happen on cheaper basses after a while, i had a good stare down the neck and all seemed ok. fine for a beginner at least, and it looks so nice, which is always a bonus! :)

the pots are a little bit crackly too, working but could do with a quick clean, no problem.

http://216.250.245.172/musbass.html

6. Bruce Lindfield

I loaned it to a friend whose band were going on a European tour supporting the Levellers (Brighton Band) - he was normally the guitarist and wanted a really bassy sound and so he thought he should put the heaviest gauge strings he could find on it.

By the time he got back, the neck was really bowed and the whole thing was worse for wear!! :mad:

These weren't cheap basses - I paid about £500 new for mine in about 1983-4 - which was lot of money for bass then!! All the pros were using them - way better than any US Fenders you could get - their quality had really dropped off at the time.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    HA HA! Funny! :D

8. Bruce Lindfield

It wasn't at the time - I was pretty annoyed at him for months!! :mad:

9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah I'll bet. Fair enough.

On a different note, sort of... my bands mostly play un-signed gig nights, where the venue encourages equipement share to minimise effort during changeovers & soundcheck etc.
    I always feel like a bit of a git, because I refuse to let anyone use my gear. In fact I find the situation a bit insulting. A while back some guy just turned up with his bass and expected to borrow my amp!

Some people just dont get it.