My first G& included.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoshB, Jan 21, 2006.

1. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

So, I've lusted after G&L's from afar ever since I played my buddy's brother's L-2000 back in high school. (you know...4 years ago.) So when the chance came up to get chris4001asat's red sparkle ASAT, I jumped on it.

The bass arrived today right after lunch. In the looks department, this thing absolutely KILLS!! Becides the sparkle finish, the neck has some nice birdseye to it and the back of the neck has birdseye as well as some quilt to it. The pictures absolutely do not do it justice.

I couldn't wait to play it through my rig, so I packed it up and went into town.

My rig consists of a Mesa 400+ and an aguilar gs212. After letting the tubes warm up, I plugged her in and messed around for about 20 minutes. My conclusion? One or two of the tones I've been trying to achieve are in this bass. I also had a friend of mine come in and sit in on drums with me for awhile so I could sort of get an idea of how it's going to sit in a mix. I'm too tired to really go into much more depth, but I'm sure there are others out there to sing the praises of G&L's. So I'll just leave you with a few more crappy pictures...

2. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    !!! :eek: !!!
    Congrats! That's hot! What's the finish called? This is seriously the hottest sparkle finish I've ever seen.
  3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I think those ASAT/Tele styled bodies are the BOMB! That finish is quite "bling-blingey" but I bet it'll look fantastic onstage.

Nice bass, sir -- congrats! :hyper:
  4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Red Sparkle! That just kills!!! I love a nice G&L...can't beat thier pickups! Congrats!
  5. Nice. Super nice. Is that Gun Oil Tint on the neck?
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have never really been a huge fan of ASAT's, but yours is beautiful. I really dig the sparkle finish, and that neck rocks.

Get that thing up under the lights on stage and you are really going to appreciate that finish more, I bet. Should look pretty cool.:)
  7. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Still lovin' my new ASAT...

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Congratulations. G&Ls sound great in a mix! You're going to love that bass.

9. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Congrats. I know exactly what you mean about finding tones that you had been searching for. I had the same religious experience with the acquisition of my ASAT. Suddenly, I heard angels singing. ;) :D

What neck option does it have? Looks like a #6?
  10. Where did you get it? Is it brand new?
  11. Normally I dont go for sparkle finishes

but on that bass its awesome.

A great great looking bass. And I know it sounds awesome too. Congrats
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    sweet :) love the neck
  13. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I would love if their jazz had MF pups instead of the "vintages"

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Awesome ! I am going to jump on a Semi Hollow ASAT soon :bassist:
  15. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Sparkley ASATs > All
  16. JoshB

Sorry taking so long to answer everyone's questions and stuff...

It's just your "run of the mill" G&L red metal flake finish.

You know what? I'm not too sure actually on the neck. It's a used bass that I got from chris4001asat right here on TB who got it from poman if memory serves me correctly.

Again, I'm not too sure. It's got a nice round profile to it with a bit of chunkiness that fits my hands rather well.
  17. steve21

steve21 Banned

that's such a stupidly sexual neck.
  18. I hate you...

But if you ever want to sell it.....:D

Congrats dude, awesome. I am lusting over a G&L L-2500 pretty majorly right now...but I need to get my rig in order first..My mexican P will have to do for now.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you played it standing up with a strap yet?
  20. JoshB

Yea...I played it all day today at church and tried both strap buttons and seem to like the way it hangs using the button closest to the output jack. It balanced very well.