1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first G&L

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by rhp335, Feb 27, 2008.

1. rhp335

rhp335

Aug 3, 2006
    Kansas City
    Well I wandered into a GC the other day, with no intent on buying anything and they had a used L2500. Out of curiosity I plugged into the same type rig I use (GK 1001RB) and holy crap, I was totally blown away by the tones and playability. I've always dismissed G&L's as too weighing too much, but then again don't see many in stores. This one is a little heavier than I'd like, but the tones may ease my back pains. Whipped out the plastic and took her home, a set of DR Fatbeams and I'm in tone nirvana. I have a bunch of other 5 strings, but this one really has the mojo.

2296708058_07321ec08b_o.

So I've been studying this forum and trying to learn about L2500's. This one appears to be from '05 based on the serial number (0503xxxx). I haven't pulled the neck yet to look for date stamps. It also doesn't say Made in Korea or made in USA or anything, and doesn't have the CE stamp I've seen on other Tributes. The hang tag said it was USA, but you know how dumb GC is on that kind of thing.

The third switch, nearest the bridge. is supposed to be the active passive switch, but when I'm in active I really don't hear a huge jump in volume, even with a new battery. Not really an issue, but it would seem to me that going into active mode would slam my amp. Not complaining, cause there's not a bad sound to be found on this bass.

Could this be American made? I'm under the impression that all Tributes are over seas manufactured. The body appears to be ash, but that's hard to tell from just looking. Any way, just thought I'd avail myself of the experts in this forum and join the G&L family.

2. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    it says tribute on the headstock so its not made in the us...i believe that is korean (they probably just peeled off the stickers).

mine is korean too...awesome bass.

3. rkingly

rkingly "Playing Reverend Basses on a Regular Basis"

Sep 8, 2007
    Virginia
    Endorsing Artist: Reverend Guitars
    Congrats on your purchase! Very nice looking bass.
    I have picked up quite a few G&L's over the last two years & they are all American made.
    As evident from the headstock. That being said, I do not own a five string G&L.
    are you not seeing made in America, or Fullerton California on the headstock?
    How about a pic of the headstock.

pOk nailed it with his SUPER VISION.
    wow, I'm old!!

4. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    they call me eagle eyes... :)

5. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    That is a Korean made one by virtue of the logo on the headstock and "Tribute" on the bridge.

Active isn't a huge jump in volume but it is noticable. Series is a bigger jump.

Jim

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I hope GC had it priced appropriately and not as a USA model. :eyebrow:

7. rhp335

rhp335

Aug 3, 2006
    Kansas City
    Thanks gentlemen, althought the headstock says nothing except G&L & Tribute L2500 on the front and just a serial # on the back I'll assume it's MIK.

I got it for $600 with a hard shell case, so I may have overpaid a wee bit, but oh well it's worth it, took it to a practice the other night and recorded with it also and still super impressed with the tones and didn't have to touch my amp at any time, can't wait to gig with it.

8. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Not an assumption, that is a fact.

Korean Headstock.....
    ATribebass5.

Indonesian....
    10_1.

Japan..
    img55371006.

9. Hey Spidey (or anyone)

How do you find the Japanese ones quality-wise? Much difference between these and the Korean/Indonesian models?

/idle curiosity