My first gig (and my first post)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Hi everybody, name's Mike. I've been playing bass for 6 years, I'm 19, and I figured this would be a decent place to get started. My former high school had a sweet music program, the class was basically just a band consisting of myself, my friend Jared on drums (he's an unbelievably good drummer, regardless of his young age he can play damn-near anything), and 2 guitars and 2 singers (one female with a gorgeus voice and one guy who sounded like Jim Morrison).

Every year at the graduation ceremony the music class would play a few songs on stage for the parents/faculty. When I was a senior I had been in the class for 4 years and was a favorite of my teacher so I had some extra leveradge in picking the songs. We had originally had 7 songs but the principle made us shorten it.

We ended up playing 5. First was "The Chicken". Being a HUGE Jaco fan, I wanted to do something of his that the band (myself included) could handle without sounding too ameteur. Then we did Clapton's "Change The World" (girl singers pick). Next was my personal favorite, we made a medley out of 2 Cream songs, starting with "Sunshine of Your Love", we jammed on that for a bit, then I wrote a nice segueway into "White Room". And we closed with the Red Hot Chili Peppers "Aeroplane". At the end of the show/ceremony we were virtually rock stars to the crowd. Fellow students were drooling over the slap line and solo from Aeroplane, parents were loving the Cream, and (sadly) only 3 people even knew who Jaco was, but they loved our rendition of it making it well worth the effort.

Anyway, I guess that's kinda long-winded, but I had a great time and it's one of those memories I'll cherish forever. A great day overall, my first gig, I graduated, and there was one helluva party that night.
  2. Welcome to TB.

There is an "introduce yourself" thread over in Miscellaneous. ;)
  3. joeviau

Jul 9, 2002
    Rhode Island
    This isn't a gig story? Cut 'em a break....
  4. I wasn't having a go, just giving him another place to look, which he might want to do as his second post.

Sheesh :rolleyes:
  5. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Aeroplane is a pretty tough choice for a first gig, congrats on pulling it off.
  6. Well, I'd already been playing bass for about 3-4 years when I played this gig. Aeroplane was also one of my first attempts at the slap/pop style (my first being Higher Ground, Chili Peppers cover of the Stevie Wonder song), so it wasn't that tough to get down, tons of fun to play though.
  7. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    :envy: Have wanted to play Aeroplane live for ages! Congrats on pulling it off though.
  8. I've only been here a few times, if I post a lot at once it still says that I posted 9.86 times PER DAY even though I don't. But you must've known that already.