Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first gig ever in front of an audience

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Feb 22, 2006.

1. On Friday night at around 11:00, I will be playing in my first ever performance at the Bitter End in Manhattan. We're playing blues and I expect the experience to last between 30 and 40 minutes. My wife will be there to take pics and I know that there will be a video guy there. This is a workshop made up of studio musicians that belong to a studio club. The club sets up the performance. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm sure I'll be pretty nervous too. Well. Wish me luck. Here I go!:help:

2. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Good luck to ye! Make it the cool way. I've had my 1st gig last Friday, so the memories are fresh :D. Gigging is not as scary as it sounds.

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Break a leg.

That way you can at least sit down and still play the bass :D

4. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Wow, first gig is at the Bitter End? Way cool! Good luck, rip it up!

5. Well, I did it!

I was great. I flub up some but not too too bad. One song, "Howlin' for my Darlin", I messed up the line all together but I recovered quickly. I did notice that I didn't have any confidence at all and that started to erode my ability to play. I was very timid at times and songs that I knew very well felt kinda, I don't know, kinda. Flat. I thought so anyway.

The audiance loved us. They respected us because it was anounced that we only met (the band) three weeks ago and had less than 6 hours of practice together. But afterwards I felt so good. I'm going to get into a band of some sort and start playing more. I love playing to an audience and I'm sure that with more confidence I'll have a better time.

6. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Congratulations on your first gig! The no-confidence thing is pretty common - all the great riffs you play in rehearsal seem to disappear from your mind when you hit the stage. Like everything else, that too improves with experience.

Like 99% of the people in this forum, I play for one reason only - to perform. I don't play for me, I play for everyone else...my band mates, the audience, our producer, the cd-buying public. My enjoyment comes from giving them what they want (musically, that is).

Plus, playing gigs is the best way to earn money for MORE GEAR!!! :hyper:

7. That sound great. Now I too would like to make money doing this. I don't want to get bogged down in money but I'm sure that I can make even a few measly bucks doing something that is so damn cool. I love this and I wish I'd have done this instead of hard drugs as a young man. How much money can be made performing? Last night was done for free and I'm positive that I willl do it for free again but somewhere some how some money is out there to make.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats ! I bet you cant wait to get that G&L out their giging , dont worry April will be here before you know it.:bassist:

9. Absolutely Kev. Absolutely