Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first gig in NYC???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PhatBoi5, Apr 26, 2003.

1. although my band has been together 6 years and played 13 states, we have never played in NYC. We have a gig with a few bands at a bar on Bleeker street in Greenwich village called Kenny's castaway next saturday. I wanted to see if anyone could offer any type of insight on things like Traffic/parking around that part of town, Crowds in NYC (apathetic, hostile, supportive?), the club? etc WHATEVER YOU CAN TELL ME!!!!!!

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The" village" as we call it has a VERY diverse crowd. It is a great place to play and as far as people it is a melting pot of society (ANYTHING GOES). Clubs are mostly small but cozy. Play anything and they will be happy. You most likely will be shocked by the people more than they will be shocked by the band. Come play and enjoy!
    Ohh as for parking, that depends on what time of day you are looking, it can get tuff.

3. i am having nightmares about the parking. We travel in a big Ford conversion van with a 5'x8' trailer for gear. I think it will get ugly

4. If your gig is on a Saturday night, you should be able to park on Houston St. (one block south of Kenny's) after 7pm. I'll do my best to come see you guys. Which Saturday are you talking about? If it's the 3rd I can make it, if it's the 10th I have a Christening to go to.

Let me know.

Mike.

Hey, you're a Sopranos fan, right?

5. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea that's right on from my experience with NYC clubs. Small ,cozy ,and diverse crowd.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've played Kenny's a bunch of times in the 90's... if'n it's the same....

there is a parking garage on the block across the street.

you get paid only for people that say loudly at the door that they are there for your band.

it's a 2 drink minimum each person PER BAND PLAYING.... if your guests stay for 3 acts... thats 6 drinks each.

Here was the stage in 1992
    [​IMG]

not a bad PA, and it looks good to say you've played there.... but a PITA for out of towners.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Does this sound a bit like a liability to anyone else? Never heard of such a thing.....

8. yes it is this saturday the 3rd. I think we should be on around 10-10:30ish. I will be the biggest black man in the place more than likely. pierced and tattoed.

And yes I am a compulsive Soprano's fan. I am proud to say I have seen every episode.

9. leftundone

leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    First of all, I dig your band man. I first you guys on MP3.com a few years back. Secondly, I've played the village many times headlining @ the Elbow Room &Lyons DEN. My advice is to get to the club early that day & park in front the the club. We would do that & each one of us would trade off sitting inside the van, just in case the cops come to give us a ticket. I think street parking starts @ 5:00 & the spaces fill up in an hour.

Best of luck on the tour.

Seanhttp://www.mp3.com/leftundone

10. thanks for the info. we are playing in philly the night before so I dont know if we are staying there or heading up the the city late-night.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Where the Hell have you been?!

...and yes, I did notice I wasn't invited to join yer Fantasy Baseball League.

;):p

12. leftundone

leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  13. Well, you ain't seen how tall this Irishman is...

when I stand on a ladder. :D

Most likely I'll see you there, PhatBoi5.

Mike :cool:

14. jimK, I didnt really join any leagues this year. I have one with a couple of frat brothers. And I did a live one on yahoo that is dead as John Lennon.

Mike jewels please introduce yourself if you see me. I always want to meet fellow TBers, but I never do......

15. Will do. :) I'm going to do my best to make it.

Mike

16. Well there's good news and there's bad news.

The good news is I met Phatboi5, and he is one nice guy. :cool:

The bad news is I got to Kenny's a few minutes after Phatboi's band finished! Yes, it was one of life's most embarrasing moments. :oops:

We at least we got to have one drink together and actually just shot the breeze about NYC and stuff like that; we didn't even talk shop about basses or amps.

Hey Phatboi, I'm glad I met you. You say you're coming back in mid June to Le Bar Bat? I'll do my best to get to that one too. Just post a reminder, Okay? So I won't forget.

I love meeting TB members. :)

Later.

Mike

17. no prob mike. I was glad you came out. we actually werent supposed to play that early. but apparently that is how it goes in the big apple. as far as Le bar bat that I think is still up in the air. But the owner of kennys asked us back and we are going to set up a few gigs at Grape street in philly and some ocean city and rehoboth beach gigs. so we'll will have the chance to meet again and have many more drinks