Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first gig since June...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Oysterman, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    ...will be 10 minutes long in a "battle of the bands" kind of talent show. Going with a 6-piece setting (voc, gtr, bass, dr, bvoc, bvoc) to play two Extreme covers. Entering stage in about 7 hours.

This will be fun, fun, fun! :D

Wish me luck (or don't, it's your choice)!

2. Break a leg, Mr. Oyster.
    I had my first gig since February this afternoon, and it kicked major ass!

And be sure to let us know when you win! :)

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Hmmm... on reflection, I believe I shall wish you luck. Good luck. :)

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Good luck man. When your up there, think of all the guys that havent ever had a Gig

*cough cough*

:D

5. A bit late in coming, but Good Luck. :)

How'd you do, and what Extreme songs did you cover?

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    We didn't get a prize, although I dare to say that we were the best band there. I have strong reasons to believe that the three-headed jury didn't even consider giving a prize to a band that was assembled for that gig only. I think they select a winner that they think need a push forward to be inspired to keep playing and develop, rather than basing their verdict on talent/ability and how you act on stage.

I am not bitter of the fact that we didn't end up among the top three (I was only there to play and have fun, which I had!), although I do think the wrong band won (those who got 3rd prize were WAY better than the winners and first runner-ups). They sucked, and I mean it. Utterly horrible in every way - but they were teenage girls. Catch my drift? :oops: :p

The songs we did were "Get the funk out" and a somewhat shortened "Cupid's Dead". Our performance went pretty well, although the guitarist pulled off probably his worst solo ever on the first song, which he wasn't late to admit. Total brain collapse, his hands didn't want to follow him.

Anyway, we really impressed our old high school music teacher, as well as the audience (I think), and that's more important to me than winning the competition. And afterwards we (the band and some friends) had a party till early morning, and I think I had more fun there than during the 10 minutes I spent on stage! :D

But playing live sure as heck gives you a good rush too! I need to do that more often.

7. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I think I know exactly how you mean they sucked. :eek::D

Anyway, good to see you enjoyed it. I need to get out playing more often, myself...

8. Glad to hear it. That is what's it's all about, anyway, isn't it? Great attitude, also. :)

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    :( Hm. I wish. Bad choice of words, sorry. :D

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    My advice on "battles of the bands" is, don't do them. They have potential to break up bands and make musicians doubt themselves. why would any musician want to be judged by someone who knows less about music than the musician himself/herself.

One funny note about this subject. There is a band in my area that advertises that they won the battle of the bands contest at a certain festival. Turns out the reason they won was NOBODY ELSE SHOWED UP!!!:eek:

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I don't know about that... I survived five of them. ;)

Of course, I did win a prize each of the first four times...

12. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Reminds me of a Battle Of The Bands we did once. The grand prize was a big gig in front of thousands of people, but our singer had booked a holiday for the weekend of the gig, so there was no point in us going to win the competition.

We turned up for the first round, where we were meant to play twice on the night. We played once, and went home. A few days later, we got a phone call saying we'd won through to the next round. We didn't even bother turning up for that. About a month after we were meant to play there, they phoned us up again and asked if we wanted to play in the Semi Finals! :eek:

I like to think that the one set we did do made that much of an impact. :)

13. Nice little DREAM you have going there, yawnsie. ;)

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Cupids Deads got a killer groove in it, I dont blame ya'll for shortening it up a bit, it rambles on there for awhile. (im assuming thats the part you cut out, some of that long instramental part)

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Exactly. We cut about a minute (or less?) from the instrumental section, but we kept all the unison parts (where bass and guitar follow eachother). It was also shortened (in time) by that the drummer set an insanely high tempo to it! :eek: But we pulled it off, yeah baby! I love playing that song. :D

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Id like to hear your redition of it, I enjoy playing that one too, mostly the parts where the guitar and bass do the same thing. that parts the best imo.