My first gig went great!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Tsal, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I just got home from my 80's coverband's first gig - and it was MY very first gig too. And it went great! Sorry, this is a very, very long post but I'm so excited :)

We had some problems, too. Our singers wifey is under labour and they are sure the baby is due this night so it was uncertain if he could come at all. Well, near the showtime, the wife thought she was going to be OK for couple more hours and told him he could go to the gig.

It was my guitarists friends public birthday party at a small pub in suburbs, the place held probably around 50-70 customers aging 30 and up and few youngsters. So before us some guys played couple songs at 6pm and we decided to play short sets at 7pm and 8pm becuse of the karaoke night and whatnot at the pub.

Good thing our guitarist overheard the bar staff talking about how the first band was a lame performer because of no stage show, so we decided to put some extra additute into it. So we kicked off with Wishing Well, and they were kinda into it. Then our singer noted that there was some space made for people wanting to dance and by the time we got half way into Black Night there was a small crowd dancing already :D And I think we scored some extra points when one of our PA cabs dropped off from the shelve and rolled to the front of the band - no-one stopped playing!

By the end of the second set, around the half of our audience was partying on the floor and we got very, very nice applaudes - they even forced us to play encore, something we planned we woulden't do even if they wanted to. After the sets everyone was telling us how great show we put up, that we should move up to large bars in downtown and some guys even promised to put out good word - even if we had to stop the second set for twenty minutes as our lead guitarist broke his string - of course we had no exchange strings around because of some hassle so the other band's guitarist fetched his from his apartment nearby. (Next time we'll bring spares and spares for spares.)

Also the response from bar staff was good, even if I thought we played way too loud for the small space it was. Here's the setlist if anyone's interested:

Set one: Wishing Well - Black Night - Strange Kind Of Woman - Chinatown - Demon's Eye - Born To Be Wild

Set two: Breaking The Law(our singer sang half of 'happy birthday' and then we hit it by surprise :p) - Touch Too Much - 14 Years - Sweet Child O Mine - Whiskey In The Jar - Rockin' The Free World - Whole Lotta Rosie.

Encore: Black Night, something like a seven minute version :D

Right now I feel like I'm ready to hit they hay. Good night, everybody.
  2. Sounds great man! Congratulations :D
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Glad to hear it went well for ya!:)
  4. Nice one!!! Nothing quite like that post gig buzz!

Always remember spare strings - and batteries, and leads, and ............:)