My First Gig :)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Braindead302, Jan 5, 2001.

1. Braindead302

Jan 5, 2001
    Well, my band "Negative Speed" has been involved in a program for the past 4 months called "Academy of Music". It is an excellent program for young musicians. Me and 4 other friends joined it. It includes lessons, band lessons and in the end, the big preformance. We decided to cover "Above" by Finger Eleven, and "Rollin'" by Limp Bizkit (Don't ask why). Well, it was the big day, December 17th.

It took me forever to find my patch cord, and we were in a rush. I packed up my stuff, threw it in the trunk and off we were. The place was fairly small, called the Black Bull, it was a British Pub, but on the other side, was a preformance stage, with tables, chairs, and waitresses walking around taking orders. I was the first one there, so I took a seat, and watched the other groups play, awaiting the arrival of my fellow bandmates. First, in came Lucas, our Drummer, with a tub of this yellow crap. I rested my bass against a table and ran in to the public washroom with Lucas. He was smearing this yellow stuff in his hair. Apparently, it was this temporairy hair dye (which WASN'T temporary, little did he know, it dyed his scalp green for a month). Next came in, Wade and Shaun. Yes! The band was here! So, we sat around for an hour hearing other bands play. Meh, they were alright, mostly younger kids, like age 12, covering songs by Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Lenny Kravitz, and yes even NSYNC. Then, up came James (Wade and Shauns guitar teacher) and called our band up to get ready. So I walked up, but James told me to use this big white bass, because it was apparently a lot better, and already hooked up. So I agreed. Anyway, it took us about 5 minutes to set up (the average time) because Wade kept on tripping over cords and dis-connecting them. Finally, the big moment. Shaun walked up to the mic, held it in one hand and said "Uh, hey everyone my name is Shaun, this is Dean, our bassist, Lucas our drummer and Wade our guitarist, and we are Negative Speed. First song we are going to play is Rollin' By Limp Bizkit" the place cheered, ah yes, we had some Limp fans in here :) well that certainly was good. Anyways, we played it great, didn't mess up once (although we expected to) We recieved a HUGE cheer from the crowd. Then we played Above by Finger Eleven, which got even more of a pop out of the crowd (because we were playing in Finger Elevens home town I'm guessing :)) Anyway, after we recieved our applaud and cheers, we walked outside, our hearts pounding. We definately got a huge reaction out of the crowd, and gave us even more motivation to carry forth with our band :)
  2. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    thats awesome...congrats on the first gig
  3. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Way to go, my man. You just keep up the good work there. It gets easier as you go on, and since you apparently got off to a good start... ;)
  4. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Congrats man!! You sound like you're off to a great start..keep rollin' man. Rock on! :D

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Congratulations and now you know what a wonderful "high" performing can be. In fact, there is a thread in Off Topic on "What Drugs Do You Take". For me, the best drug of all is the high from a sucessful performance. Ther is no euphoria like it.

One time at a concert, a kid offered me pot. I told him the truth. For me there is no high like music. Even betetr there is no high like PLAYING music that fans enjoy. That kid was really surprised. Well, I said it nicely. I didn't want to sound holier than thou. I said it because for me it is the truth.

Jason Oldsted
  6. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    Hey, another oakvillian, cool!
    May your future gigs remain prosperous.
  7. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Ride the rush man....aint it awsomw!!!!!
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I can dig it. Congrats, man!