Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my first gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jul 25, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I had my first gig last night. It was a benefit for the West Memphis 3. I was of course nervous. We were the only pop rock band, playing with a bunch of Nu Metal bands. I don't think anyone enjoyed the music, but I like it. I started setting up and I never realized bands had so much to do before playing. After 15 minutes of getting all my gear set up, and double checking it, we were ready to play. We went straight into our songs, and first line, our lead guitarist breaks a string, but we went on, and he came back during the second song. There were all sorts of assorted mistakes, one in particular in which our drummer just stopped playing in the middle of the bridhe of the fourth song, right before my bass solo. We started again, but I didn't get to do the solo. Bummer. For the most part I stood facing off to the side, or to the back, but for the fifth and final song, I moved around alittle. Towards the end, I ran and jumped off stage, with bass in hand, knocking down our friend, and unplugging my whole pedalboard in the process. I got back on stage, turned my amp off, and called it a gig. The feedback was we're were ok or good. I thought it was horrible, myself, but it was only our first show.

~Patrick

2. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity

haha you need to purchase urself a wireless system

3. I love to hear first gig stories.... everyone's story is a bit different.

They get better, and more enjoyable so keep it up!

:cool:

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I actually have wireless I keep on my pedalboard, but the bodyback is broke. I'm gonna get a new one very soon.

~Patrick

5. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    jumping off the stage...nice. rock and f'in roll! thanks for supporting the WM3.

6. HAHA the way i just replied to it, it sounds a lot like my first gig. :D

7. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Congrats on your 1st gig. :)
    Cool for supporting the WM3 too.
    Hope your next ones are even better... :)

8. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I always like those "1st Gig" stories. As bad as it might have seemed, it wasn't, and it only get's better. I compared my first gig to first sex in the following ways:

1. I had long anticipated this event, but when the moment finally came, I was way too nervous, and not sure what the first step was. I had to be told what to do every step of the way.

2. Although I had practiced many many times by myself in privacy, it did not even slightly compare to doing it with other people involved.

3. Even after practicing over and over, I still froze when the time came to make my first move and couldn't remember what came first. I was all thumbs for awhile.

4. Once I had what I thought was a good rhythym going, I was hoping the other people involved thought so too.

5. When I finally got settled down and started getting into it, I really started to enjoy myself.

6. I had wood the whole time.

7. It was over way too soon.

8. I can't stop talking about it to my buds.

9. I'm obsessed with it now and can't wait to do it again!

Keep thumpin!

9. a tip from http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/openmics.htm. It is specifically about performing at Open Mic venues, but i think it applies to nearly any performance situation. :

10. LMAO that was very hilarious and true. Sounds like my first time...... :oops:

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Even veteran musicians have "1st gigs". 1st gigs with new personnel and 1st gigs with new bands. There's always a learning curve at a new venue.

Developing the trust of your bandmates onstage takes time too. You also have to learn to trust your instincts.