1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first good amp... Titan or Walkabout? Input appreciated...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ColeR91, May 4, 2010.

1. ColeR91

ColeR91

Apr 27, 2009
    I'll admit, I'm a little embarrassed to bring this up, simply because it's high quality, expensive gear & I'm rather a new player & I'm generally not to knowledgeable, I'm entirely going on ears here.. But I'm curious if I can get some input, I've been testing amps at my local music stores for about a year now & I've fallen in love with Mesa's. I've yet to be able to get it on with a Walk-About, & I'm worried I won't get that same wow &/or awesome factor of the Titan, which I spent a straight hour & a half on. I've heard nothing but good things about the Walk-about however, & It's not like I'm playing in stadiums or anything, haha.

My options that I've laid out are either a Walk-About 12" combo w/ 12" Extension cab or a Titan w/PH 4x12. The latter would cost about 1.5k more, enough for a new bass to replace my Indonesian Peavy, haha. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I've got the money now... No more tire kicking... I've read pretty much every Mesa thread on this board, & sorry for flooding it with another, however I'm interested in direct opinions on my particular case, as it's an odd comparison I notice.

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If the weight doesn't bother you, then the Titan likely is the last and only head you'll ever need, but eventually you'll want a Walkabout anyway:bag:

Enjoy it and don't worry about someone else's opinion of what gear is suitable for you. That PH cab also weighs a ton , BTW

3. I'd suggest getting the titan, because if you get the walkabout, you're probably still going to want the titan. Also maybe downsize the cab to a 410 or a 212.

4. There's a lot to be said for a modular rig. If you rehearse twice a week a 112 cab is a friend indeed.

I've downsized my amp; I found I can do what I need with a 300 watt WA. For me its a perfect balance of tone/weight. Your needs might be different.

5. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    If this is going to be your first major amp purchase, I think you would be really happy with the Walkabout. Not that I have personal experience, I'm just basing this off opinions of TB members and my experience with similar products. I bought a SVT-4 PRO and an 8x10 because I wanted that huge end-all rig, but then I figured out I really didn't need it all. Ended up downsizing to a Markbass LMIII and an Aguilar GS410 and haven't looked back. :hyper:

6. I'm sorry to say this, but I recommend you buy BOTH :)

The Titan on a PH4x12 is a monster that you will love when you want it.
    The Walkabout will provide everything you need all the rest of the time, including something to grab and run to rehearsals and jams with.

7. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    That's why I recommended the Walkabout as a first amp. It's like the OP said, he won't be playing in stadiums or anything. I think the Titan is massive overkill for your first major amp purchase.

Another thing you could do is buy the Walkabout combo for small gigs, then detach the head and run it with a bigger cab for larger venues.

Just talking about it is making me want a Walkabout...

(stand hard...LMIII sounds great...)
    (iwillnotbuynewgearicantafford
    iwillnotbuynewgearicantafford
    iwillnotbuynewgearicantafford)

Good luck with your quest!

8. Agreed. Go with the Walkabout and add a couple of 112s and you'll be in tone heaven. I use my WB head (don't' have the combo) with Aguilar GS112s to amazing effect on a loud stage. The WB comes alive at 4 ohms and is happy to over-achieve at 2 ohms. Using it with two 8 ohm 112s is my standard med size/volume set up, but I occasionally use three 8 ohm 112s with devastatingly blissful results. I have been through a lot of amps and always keep coming back to my Walkabout. Unless I need absurd volume levels, my other amps sit at home. The Walkabout is not without its quirks (what Mesa amp isn't?) but it just might be the best bass amp purchase you'll ever make - IMO/IME of course! :)

9. Now that I've said that...

If it's one or the other, you should probably go with the Walkabout. It's a great combo with the option to add another cab, or remove the head to use with something different. Plus it has great resale.

10. ColeR91

ColeR91

Apr 27, 2009
    I wish I could pick both, haha. This thread really has me leaning on the Walk-About. I'm curious, dose the Walk-About combo come as 8 ohms or 4? I think it would be cool to run at 500w or so, but I'd imagine 300w is enough for 2 12" speakers? I'm pumped honestly, though I'm gonna have to special order, it'll probably take about 2 months. It also opens up room for a new bass, I've always had a thing for Warwicks, haha. More comparisons are also welcome :p

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Standard issue is 4 ohms, and that's good. Instead of getting an ext cab for it, get another, bigger 4 ohm cab. That way, you've got the Walkabout Scout 12, at full power for a smallish combo, and then take the head out of the Scout, and use it with the bigger 4 ohm cab for gigging. In fact, I sold my Scout 12 cab, and ONLY use my WA head and Uber 2x12 cab, as my main rig. You won't be disappointed.

12. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Few bass head can resist the temptation to go bigger and bigger ... (and louder...)
    And even fewer can ignore when your back tells you to go lighter and lighter... (and smaller...)

If you are young and able, you should go ahead and experience the big rig.
    Save the sensible choices for later in life. :p

If you start out small, rest assure that you WILL WANT to go bigger.

Don't wait until you are retired, wanting to use a big rig, but find that you no longer have the energy to lug it around.

IMHO

13. ColeR91

ColeR91

Apr 27, 2009
    You guys seem to be making the decision increasingly difficult, haha. I think I'm leaning towards the Walkabout, simply because I spend most of my time jamming in a basement suite. In terms of tone, exactly how different are they? I suppose it's a hard question to answer, & it's not a good question at all, haha, but in terms of quality, I'd take they are on par?

14. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I haven't played a Titan, but have spent quality time with a BB750 (which is essentially 1/2 a Titan) and own a Walkabout. IME the clean channel on the 750 easily puts out the same tone as the cleaner side of the Walkabout. The WA does not have a separate OD channel, but it's gain control is a thing of beauty and can give you full dirt. All in all, if you are a basement jammer, the WA is clearly the more sensible choice......but so what....if you can afford either then the sensible choice is what puts the grin on your face. They'll both do that, and so will the BB750 for that matter.

15. ColeR91

ColeR91

Apr 27, 2009
    We have many similar hero's lomo, haha, I'm curious if you prefer tone quality more or less on the BB? Or is it essentially the same? Anyways, something just dawned on me... Is there a general consensus of the Scout Radiator cabs? I'm curious, because instead of the Walkabout Combo, I could buy the Walk-About with a 2x12 for basically the same price, though I've always feared that the passive radiator had much to do with the tone? Doing this I could always buy a Titan later, maybe with another 2x12, it would be modular, & I don't know, haha. I'm day dreaming, but I could afford it a while down the road...

16. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    Can't go wrong with a WA head and a Mesa PH212 cab.

17. If you have the money for it, I would go with the Titan rig FOR SURE. It is easily the best sounding head I have ever played through (including the Walkabout) and it is incredibly versitile. From my own experience, I can tell you that buying "enough amp to get by" is not a great plan, because you WILL be put into a situation where you need more amp than you thought you would. You can always turn a big amp down, but you can only turn a little amp up so much.

Plus, seriously, the Titan/Powerhouse rig looks friggin' SICK.