Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my first guitar

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bandnerd, May 3, 2005.

1. bandnerd

bandnerd

May 3, 2005
    Killeen, Tx
    ok, so I hang out with alot of friends and I love punk rock. Most of all, I love the sound that the bass guitarist makes. So One day I tell a friend that I would like to learn how to play the bass and he tells me that him and a few other kids at my high school want to get a band together but need a bass, and that if I learned how to play then we could start playing together. So I know nothing (exept parts of the bass guitar) about what guitars are good. So could someone tell me what a great guitar to start on is?
    Im just afraid of buying a guitar and it not produce the sound im looking for (Punk/Rock) :help:

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    We are gonna have to know your price range to give suggestions on what BASS you should get , Its not going to be that easy to just start right up playing in a band I wouldnt rush things to much. Although playing with a band setting is great experience if you and you buddies wanna be a serious band they are gonna need a bassist who knows what hes doing. So I suggest learning technique: Right and left hand positioning , Using all of your finrgers when holding down notes etc. etc. and you also DEFFINATELY need to learn theory first! All bassists should no theory.

3. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Dee Dee Ramone of the Ramones, Mike Dirnt of Green Day, Mark Hoppus of Blink 182, Dave Derosiers of Simple Plan and many others all used P-Basses. P-Basses have been the shining icon of punk bass since the beginning. If you want a true punk rock sound, you can't go wrong with a P-Bass. Squier Affinity P-Basses are really cheap, (A New one's about $175 and it isn't hard to find a used one) and Fender P-Basses are great quality. I learned on a P-Bass and have played for a long time in a punk band and it's always delivered a great sound! I'd say P-Basses are your best bet.

-Matt the Hun

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I think you will be able to get the sound you are looking for out of most any bass it deffinately doesnt have to be a P-bass even if they are a "traditional punk bass" that doesnt mean thats what you want.The main thing you should do is try out as many basses as possible and see whats best for you.

5. bandnerd

bandnerd

May 3, 2005
    Killeen, Tx
    thnx for the help, ill look intp the P-basses and other basses in general and get lessions after I purchase one. All my other friends are learning their places as well so I wont slow em down any. ;) we are all n00bz that want to learn together to play for real.

6. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    Bandnerd, I would say get a cheap bass, like one of thsoe combos thats has a bass and a practice amp in it, and play for a little bit and learn, and see if you are really serious abotu playing. Just a though.

Oh, a site that has soem good books on anything bass related http://www.bassbooks.com Hope that helps

7. bandnerd

bandnerd

May 3, 2005
    Killeen, Tx
    I have found many bass guitars that I would like to buy, but the problem i face now is the fact that finding lessons around my area will not be as easy. I have called around and searched the internet for people who could give me lessons with no luck. Would it be possible to learn on my own?

8. chilipepperflea

chilipepperflea Guest

Apr 13, 2005
    East Anglia
    Yeah i agree but i don't think its a definalty a thing you have to do at first. I didn't, and ok im not experienced yet but i just played loadsa songs, maninly chilis, and kept moving up to harder stuff and harder stuff.

why i'm saying this is because now i can get speed and jump alot more with my fingers i feel like i'm actually getting somewhere and it was fun jamming with mates and improving my techniques. Now i'm at this stage and can play ok i'm starting to learn all the theory because i want to, i have an urge to, because i wanna get even better.

but to begin with i tried and it was boring and i didn't know what i was doing or had to do...just dont think its the only way. its preference...

Theory helps though, and on this subject does anyone know any decent online sites for bass theory? lol time to learn some.

Cheers Ryan

9. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I think theory is esential!! I think everyone should learn theory , Why even learn an instrument if your not going to learn theory. People who dont learn theory are just trying to find an easy way to learna ninstrument.

10. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I agree. It doesn't have to be a P-Bass, I just thought it would save you some searching time so you can try that one out first. But the important thing is that YOU like bass and the sound. Good luck bass hunting!

11. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Hey man, just curious, do you have an endorsement with bassbooks.com or do you just like them? Since it seems like every time you post, you somehow work bassbooks.com into your posts. I'm just curious. If you got an endorsement or something then sign me up, but I just wanted to know

12. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    Im actually in a punk band http://politicaldisorder.tripod.com
    i know it's a shameless plug but who cares....But anyway, I started out using a dean playmate and it certainly worked out...I am currently using an 80's Ibanez Roadstar II and thats considerably better...I joined said band knowing nothing...I had never played a bass before and i was only recently introduced to guitar. Now im the best!!!! HA im kidding

13. Broach, I completely disagree. Theory can very much be secondary. If the will to play and the ear to play are there, the theory can come in time.

14. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Of course you can learn on your own. Jimi Hendrix comes to mind... Anyways, there are so many instructional books and DVDs available that at your (presumably) young age you could teach yourself theory and techniques! I say learn some very basic theory, such as what root notes are, and learn some of your favorite punk basslines from tablature then start playing with your band ASAP. From there, let your ears be your guide and if you wish to you can learn some more advanced theory and/or techniques.