1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My First Head/Cab half stack brain bender.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McFly, May 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. McFly

McFly

Sep 14, 2016
    Melbourne FL
    I'm going on 1 year with my Bass playing, and I see no end in the foreseeable future,
    so I decided to invest in better gear, that will allow me to 'grow' a little.

First off, let me say, "HOLY CRAP!" It required quite a bit of leg work just to get 'some' knowledge on amp heads and cabinets... It's pretty daunting, even with an 'audiophile streak' in me. Fortunately, my CFO (loving wife) put a cap on spending, otherwise I'd likely have a second mortgage and very angry neighbors. :thumbsup: After lots of reading and self edjamakatin', I felt it time to throw some money around. This forum is a great reference, and appreciate everyone that contributes... Lotsa learnin' here.

I decided to go with something reasonably priced (under $500 and $200 under CFO's cap) for mostly home use, but I occasionally meet up to play with friends. I have a sub-compact car, so size matters. I was originally thinking about the Ampeg Micro VR ($700), and beat myself up for a month or so on going combo, with a bigger (than my SX practice amp) for less, or the Ampeg amp/cab. Then I came across Carvin's Memorial Day sale, and decided on the BX250 Microbass Amp and their MBE210 cabinet. With good reviews, (I see some mixed feelings here...) and affordability, it won me over at $230 less than the Ampeg.

It came to $470 shipped (with a speaker cable!). It's small in size, and pretty rich in features, and seemingly good bang for the buck. Maybe a 1x15 second cab down the road, but for now I think I have a decent set up for what I'm doing, with some room to grow.

Pretty excited about the upgrade.... I hope to see it by the end of next week.

Rattman, Baa, GrandLowBass and 3 others like this.
  2. Have a read of the vertical believer thread. You will be inclined to double up on the 210.

shoot-r and Lobster11 like this.
  3. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    McFly likes this.
  4. McFly

McFly

Sep 14, 2016
    Melbourne FL
    Just took a peek... that was probably a mistake. :smug:

5. Whatever you do.....

Stay in the amp thread.

Do NOT go over to the effects forum.

I repeat. DO NOT GO OVER TO THE EFFECTS FORUM.

Enjoy the amp man!

6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I would spend some time on the combo club thread before feeling too bad. Plenty of happy campers with all sorts of arrangements. If you really feel you want dual 2 x 10's, call Carvin and see if they can change up your order.

7. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Good advice. Go ahead and order a pork loin though :D

joshmmorrison likes this.
  8. And a.....And a.....And a.....And a.....And a.....

BadExample likes this.
  9. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Russian Pickle, of course! :D

10. McFly

McFly

Sep 14, 2016
    Melbourne FL
    Hmmmm effects eh?? (Twitch...twitch)

Heh, heh heh...

joshmmorrison and BadExample like this.
  11. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Most people twitch some. They just suppress it in public.

joshmmorrison likes this.
  12. McFly

McFly

Sep 14, 2016
    Melbourne FL
    Some more than others .... LOL! I think I can plug my GB-10 in for a temporary effects fix, until I get to the next level!

BadExample likes this.
  13. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    congrats on the rig! i think your approach is good. you've got a nice modular rig that can be used as-is, or easily expanded if you need more coverage for bigger rooms.

McFly likes this.
  14. spvmhc

spvmhc

Apr 14, 2011
    Let me share that adding a Behringer BDI21 V-Tone Driver DI Pedal made a huge difference/improvement in tone for just $30. $30 is only a little more than 4% of your $700 budget. You may want to live with your new rig for a while and see if it meets your tone expectations. If not, consider the Behringer.

15. For your requirements & budget seems like you made a decent choice. I got a Bx250 little over 1 1/2 years ago during special Carvin sale and has worked ok for me paired with 210 cab. I only played at home with it for week before taking and leaving at church for Sunday worship playing. I Don't crank it or opportunity to tweak much but pretty easy to get nice & clear tone from it. Interested to hear your opinions when you get it.

16. McFly

McFly

Sep 14, 2016
    Melbourne FL
    Thanks for the recommendation. Going from a 15w practice amp to this set-up will probably be a 'sound-gasm', but as I get used to it, it's nice to have a place to start tweaking... my only pedal right now is a Donner DT-1 tuning pedal. Cheap, but it works.

The options out thrre are seemingly limitless, I could've beat myself up for months. I'm hoping I got it right. Time will tell.

I have a Tascam GB10 trainer, and I've been playing with the effects built into it. I was wondering if I could run it through to the amp to get an idea of what these different pedals sound like through the new amp?

17. Robert Sperling

Robert Sperling Crazybassman72

Jan 26, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    I went with your amps big brother (Carvin B2000 and 2 Br410-4's), and love the tone. Let the others say what they
    want...I've had no issues with my Carvin rig and will recommend it to whoever will listen.
    I will say that my small gig rig (Markbass CMDP151 and an extra 1x15 for medium gigs)was nearly as expensive, isn't as loud and doesn't sound quit as good to my ears, I imagine yours will be similar just not as loud!

18. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Bassgasms playing at home and cranking up the bass eq. for sure! You just cant get that brain shaking at 15 watts.

If you have an effects out on the practice amp you can run that to the effects in on the BX. You will then bypass the bx preamp and use the practice amps pre.

If you have a lower level output you can adjust like headphones out, you can try that into the bx instrument input on the front. Start with the practice amp turned down and try to set the eq on it as flat as you can.

General cautions: Do not connect the speaker outputs of either to anything but speakers. Do not bypass the way your effects loops disconnect the pre amp when you use the return jack (by use of Y cable). This disconnect keeps you from plugging outputs into outputs which is not good. Send is usually not protected by disconnect. Always think out use of a Y, including passive ABY pedals or don't use one.

19. McFly

McFly

Sep 14, 2016
    Melbourne FL
    Mr. UPS Guy left a few goodies with the wife today.

49C59688-8DEF-4DD5-9E72-CC129BA6815B_zpsoyqiok1p.

Bwah.....ha.....ha..... :) :woot:

BadExample likes this.
  20. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Cool! But you are supposed to unbox before taking the pic :D

joshmmorrison, Rattman and McFly like this.