1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first jam session with a drummer!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by artdrtr, Feb 25, 2008.

1. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Here is a little "remember when" for you guys I just have to share.....

First, I'm a noob. I played some guitar years ago on my own just for fun, but they have been collecting dust in the closet ever since the kids came....Now fully in my midlife crisis I bought a bass (SR500L - 2 months ago). I've since been playing along to songs and following a good bass book w/CD until I answered a Craigslist ad from an older beginner drummer, tired of taking lessons, looking to jam with an older beginner bass & guitar player.

Well, yesterday was it. We had access to a band space downtown L.A. No guitar player, just me and the drummer kind of fumbling around for the first hour playing some blues bars patterns out of my book/CD when the light came on for both of us. We turned off the music and just played -- hitting a groove and sounded alright. Simple stuff, but we both played off each other, hit the right timings, sped things up, slowed things down and we both kept up with it -- it was an amazing feeling. I'm hooked!

2. JeffSki

JeffSki

Apr 18, 2007
    Cool man. Jamming with a drummer buddy of mine when I was first learning was fun and I feel it was a great help to me. It's something I'll still do sometimes during the dead space of band practice.

Just feels good playing off a drummer with nothing else to worry about. Kinda a rhythm section connection :D

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    +1. It's onward and upward (musically) from there! And the best part is when the guitar player says "play that again" and adds his own licks, and the singer says "I've got some words I wrote a while ago that would fit that", and then you hvae a new original to add to the setlist!

4. Yeah I love jammin with a drummer! Especially when you just hit that sweet spot and seem to be almost telepathic, changin it up and down abd busting out some good grooves :D

5. Welcome (OFFICIALLY) to the club! It's a beautiful thing :D
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

6. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    haha this is what playing bass is all about... playing in your room is fine, but playing with other is what it's about!

7. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Bass_fish,

Absolutely that is what playing is all about. Artdrtr, sounds like you just got hooked again.