My First Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allboutbass, Apr 16, 2021.

1. allboutbass

allboutbass

Oct 2, 2019
    How you guys setup your JBass? ...in numbers

I have recently purchased my first Jazz Bass: AVRI 75, I have other basses, Precision, Stingray, Sandberg VT4.

I normally do all my setups and I sort of keep track of what I finally feel is right for a particular bass or guitar.

So I have been experimenting with the action, saddles, truss rod and pickup heights. Luckily this bass admits really low action and little relief .. not that I favor that, but is good to know I can go low. Also tried several string gauges and construction.

Right now I just set it up back to Fender Specs and strings right now are rounds 45-100. My be a tad flatter relief for a 7.25 radius ...around 0.25mm

So I was really curious on what you guys setup your Jazz Basses and for what style of sound or music you guys play.

2. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    After some experimenting, I found out that recommended Fender specs suit me best.
    I play soul mostly, but also some 60' rock, fusion, jazz standards, dance, even country - depending on the band that calls me.
    Mostly two-finger style, and a little od slap, palm muting. Haven't played with pick long time.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    cms, allboutbass and MynameisMe like this.
  3. MynameisMe

MynameisMe What will you be remembered for?

Dec 31, 2018
    J'ville Florida
    Fender standards and adjust to my liking.
    I hate fret buzz and my Jazz has to have more relief to avoid it

allboutbass and RattleSnack like this.
  4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I start with Fender specs and go down from there. My jazz averages 1.8 mm on the E at the 12th.

allboutbass likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022