1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first killswitch!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sunset Shalom, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Not sure where to post this but effects seems suitable, bought a cheap killswitch off ebay and just finally got around to installing it! Did a horrible job as it didn't fit my guitar the best so I drilled too big of a hole and glued it in place :roflmao:

It's in a cheap guitar though so it isn't a big deal, going to let the glue dry then wire it up. Very excited to try and play around with one finally after being inspired by Bucketheads innovative use of them.

Super easy to install, just a hot and ground wire you attach to your volume pots lead and to any grounded spot.

Going to by a few more and put one in my bass and a few other guitars next.

2. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    All my stage basses have kills, just gotta have it.

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  3. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I don't even think I have heard one used on bass but it seems like it could be pretty cool and a ton of fun.

Or do you just use it as a mute? I am talking about a push button temporary killswitch for stuff like this:

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I just go with the kill knob.....a.k.a. the volume knob. :D

5. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    Juan alderete loves them. I kinda like the idea of the Coppersound Pedals Telegraph Stutter. image. I have an Idiotbox Mad Dr Stutter which is essentially a killswitch type tremolo that is cool for chopping up your sound.

6. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Always wanted one on a guitar. No volume, no tone, just a kill switch. Cause all men play on 10.

Barbaric.Eric and PillO like this.
  7. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I feel like a volume pot is the bare minimum for a reason generally, especially with responsive amps like many tube amps a volume control is super handy.

I have always wanted a v/v/t/t wiring too with a 3 way selector so I can have even more control. Soon I intend to start trying out custom wiring's to play around.

8. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I'm meaning back in my heavy handed 6 string rhythm guitar days. With the bass I've learned the usefulness of fine tuning.

9. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I guess it depends what you're playing. I like to play lots of jazzy stuff so I can't imagine life without a volume pot even with single coils let alone humbuckers...

Even a single tone pot really helps to roll off some treble for a smoother jazzy tone as well. My sweet spot is 70% or so for each especially with hotter pup's.

BurnOut likes this.
  10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    I've wanted one on my bass since Peter Steele has almost always had one

11. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I bought a Squier Jazz Deluxe V that someone changed the active electronics out for passive ones, which means the switch has no use, but the guy kept it there as to not have a hole in the bass. So I wired it as a killswitch. Very simple, but fun. I would rather have a button, but it does the job nonetheless

12. VVTT with a 3 way is not that great. I have a bass like that and it really doesn't work well when both a pickups are used.

13. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Honestly a switch would be more handy for some stuff but a button has always appealed to me. I just got a cheap push one.

But there are cool LED ones that light up as well as nicer buttons. Mine is tiny and fits in a standard v/t pot sized hole at least.

What doesn't work well with it? I was even considering a v/v/v/t based wiring for a parts frankenstrat of sorts. With a 5+ way switch too though.

14. Either tone pot when used effects both pickups if they are being used together. You can't use each tone pot individually. That is why Fender moved away fro VVTT to VVT.

15. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I thought that was why gibsons are wired with 2 tone caps? Or does just having them linked cause the issue? Personally I probably wouldn't even mind much.

I have always wanted to try a stereo wiring with each pickup having its own output, that way you could send em to different amps and get completely different sounds.

16. You need the two tone caps to use when you use that individual pickup.
    I really don't know what the science is behind it, but I was warned. The thing is the bass that I have has it's pickguard VVTT, Selector switch, Mono out and stereo out like a ric, but not a ric,so I wired it up like that. I've never used the stereo because I've never had two amps at the same time. I do now, but don't have a cord and I'll be getting rid of one of the amps soon :(
    [​IMG]

17. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Even with a guitar and bass amp I don't play stereo too much just becouse it's unnecessary really, but it can be a ton of fun. Having a PA can be really nice for stereo stuff as it takes much less effort to dial in an even tone then with 2 distinct combo amps... Plus with a nice PA stereo stuff is more noticeable when set up well.

I bought some stereo cords before realizing most stereo gear is just made to use with 2 mono cords :roflmao: now I have 2 stereo cables I have 0 use for... For now.

Headphones are also a good way to use stereo gear depending on your set up. I got a cheap used boss multi effects with a few stereo effects that sound great in headphones, but it's just mono in sadly so no running other stereo pedals into it... Anyways if you look around maybe you can find a cheap way to play stereo into phones.

18. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I made my own killswitch pedal out of a junction box I got at Home Depot. I couldn't find a three-post button (stomp-style) switch, so I had to use a toggle switch. It works really well for how I use it though!

Capture2.JPG

The paint looks a little goofy here. I improved the look with my next iteration. I need to get a new photo of it...

19. @RyanJD I like the paint on the Black Hole junction box just fine.

Killswitch on the instrument:
    I like the idea of a button better than switch for using the killswitch as an effect, but the toggle has more going for it overall because you can flip the switch and leave it there to mute between songs/sets/etc.

Killswitch in a pedal:
    What I'd really like in a pedal (or on an instrument for that matter) is a stompswitch on the pedal (toggle on instrument) that turns a button (ie momentary switch) on/off so that the signal is OFF until you press the button for ON – when you're done monkeying around you hit the stomper/switch and signal flows as normal. To me it's more intuitive to hit a button to GET sound. Beavis Audio had the answer with the anti-stutter switch.

[​IMG]

HOWEVER, in the switch's OFF position, I then want the button to act like a normal killswitch, ie depressed is OFF.

For this last idea to work, I think I need a momentary switch that can be flipped between "normally open" and "normally closed", the flip being activated by the switch.

Follow all that?

Anybody know if there are momentary switches that can be flip-flopped between "normally open" and "normally closed"? Or is there a way to wire up a momentary and 3PDT to do this?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    RyanJD likes this.
  20. Whatever you do, do not install the cheapest possible normally open push button momentary from the local rat shack. I made that mistake and the button broke after a day of, uh, rigorous testing. Also, wire it up better than I did.

FWIW it is possible to wire a VVTT correctly so that the tone knobs work as expected.